Need Advice: LA to NYC upgrade awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Edyang, Dec 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Edyang

Edyang Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

First time poster here, sporadic visitor to Flyer Talk. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.

I have a newbie question. Currently I have about 680,000 SPG points.

My goal is to maximize them by only using them for upgrades vs redemptions.

Knowing how high in demand the LAX to NYC routes are, any pointers on what my best bets would be for award upgrades into any NYC area airports (I guess JFK and EWR)?

My schedule is flexible and I'm more than willing to fly out of airports like SNA, etc in the LA/OC area.

Oh, it would be for a family of 3 so I guess that makes it even more difficult.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Edyang

Edyang Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Kalboz!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL trends to only very very rarely release upgrade inventory on their JFK-LAX and vv nonstop transcons until the gate, where the rules say you can only upgrade with SWUs and not miles. On connections (mostly through ATL, DTW, and MSP), you might be able to use miles in advance to upgrade from K+ (midrange discount coach, not deep discount) fares, but there is noo published source to check for availability now: you must call DL, just as you must call to get the upgrade. The bottom line here is that you should not transfer your SPG points to DL miles.

5. Edyang

Edyang Active Member

Status Points:
    I do have a subscription to the KVS tool that served me well on my trip to Taiwan and researching upgrade options on EVA. Was hoping to get pointed in the right direction in terms of potential routes or even less known routes like Ontario Airport or John Wayne to NYC.

Kalboz likes this.