Need advice from any Concur users

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by daninstl, Jan 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at a possible job offer from a new employer that uses "Concur" for travel bookings. ANY advice on this would be great.
    How will this impact my travel / points / miles world?
    I used to be with a big corporation that made me use AMEX travel which was not so good.
    Is this a good, bad or ugly deal for me if I accept this job that involves a lot of domestic US travel?
    Thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how they handle it. If they're flexible, you can book your own and just add the expenses into Concur. If they're inflexible, you'll have to use the tool with a booking service. Concur will allow you to set up the charge card(s) you want to use, but the travel policy of the company will be what binds you.

uggboy and daninstl like this.
  3. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your new employer, they might have a company credit card they used to be put on file with Concur.
    But in your profile, you are able to put your frequent flier # on there as well for hotel.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be anything from corp cc only, negeotiated non-points earning hotels only, cheapest carrier at all costs to optional but mediocre booking engine. Much depends on policy, implementation, and corpprate culture.

daninstl likes this.
  5. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. The only thing I'll say about Concur is that it is a real pain to enter hotels if your rate is different from night to night. Other than that it's probably about the same as any other corp travel portal. At my company, anyone with significant travel had to put all T&E on their corporate card. Meaning the company gets a rebate and you don't get anything from the card. You can still collect points from the hotels and airlines, just nothing for the CC spend.

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's my guess is that corporate will reap the CC spend points/rewards. I guess I'm spoiled with my current employer in that regard. Thanks.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would recommend you push back to keep your points and if there is no outright mandate to use the corporate card that you use your own. I've worked for companies that issue cards but allow me to keep the points and am stubborn enough that unless it was a dream job with lots of other benefits, I would not even consider working for one that kept points on my corporate spend.

Again would like to emphasize that unless they outright say you have to use their issued card and they keep the points, then use your own. I like to do this to target my hotel spend on my hotel cards. I just default the air spend to Amex as i get double points for all those and MR points are a nice value.

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great points. My last employer had a "corporate" card (Actually the CEO's AA Business card) but would let you use any card you wanted. They just made it easier if you used the "corporate" card as they would pay it direct. It was a small company with about 100 employees and all the traveling folks are additional card holders on his account. There must of been about 40 travelers on the same account and the lady that did the expenses manually had to sort through this huge bill every month. It was silly at best. My guess was that he had about $50 to $100k a month going through it. Amazing.

uggboy and flyforawg like this.