Need advice for LGA Bronx Brooklyn travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by daninstl, Feb 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK I know there a bunch of LGA Experts here. I travel a bunch but not much in NYC. So here is my situation. I'm driving (most likely), from rural Maryland into New York City late on a Monday night. I have a business appointment on Tuesday morning around East 141st in the Bronx (I know it may not be the best area in the world) and I have an afternoon appointment around S. 5th Street in Brooklyn. On Wednesday I have an 7am'ish flight out of LGA.

My questions are:
    Should I dump the rental car off and use taxi's, trains or what? I know the trains don't go to LGA. I don't have an unlimited travel budget but time is important also.

Should I keep the rental car and just dump it at the airport before I fly out?

Is traffic or parking so bad that I'll run into problems in these areas?

Also best place to stay? I'm thinking of staying near LGA so the morning flight it's so bad.

My best guess is to get a hotel if possible near LGA, get rid of the car asap. Taxi to the Bronx, Train to Brooklyn and taxi back to LGA.

Any advice or fun comments are appreciated. Thanks.

bez7, tondoleo and Newscience like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this the best.

You can stay right across the highway at any number of (half decent) airport hotels and forgo the potential problems.

Traffic to the Bronx might not be bad, or it could be terrible as the Grand Central is a cruel mistress. Parking might be an issue, with street parking probably in the 1-2 hour range, plus tolls. Or you'd have to find a garage, but at that point just taking a taxi might make more sense.

Going into Brooklyn is iffy because you'll either have to deal with the BQE and its horrendous traffic or worse, the Jackie (which we still call the Interboro BTW)

Keep in mind that Carmel recently got into the on-demand car service and they have a $60 credit for new rides. Up to $72 if you use a referral code (mine is 1033751 :) ) so that could potentially save you some dough.

3. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep the rental car location in mind. There are no apparent signs at LGA showing where to go - at least none that I have seen that are over 6 point type!

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not that hard to find, after you've been down that block at least once... :) I used to park at that Dollar location (doubles as off airport parking) before I started using the Parking Spot right up the block.

lga-rental.png

bez7, IDGflygirl, daninstl and 2 others like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The general rule in NYC is DITCH THAT CAR.

On the other hand, Manhattan is the worst and you're not going there. Furthermore, neither of the places you plan to visit has a horrendous parking situation. Not to say traffic patterns in NYC aren't already horrendous but I'm pretty sure both those places have plenty of parking meters (which may or may not be totally occupied) and traffic is somewhat more civilized in those areas.

bez7, daninstl and jackplum like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be inclined to keep the car through your meetings and then get ride of it after checking into an airport hotel late in the day on Tuesday. Have you checked rental car rates and drop off surcharges? Will it cost more to dump the car at the airport rental location and then take the car rental shuttle to the terminal and your airport hotel shuttle to the hotel for the night, versus picking some convenient car rental agency near one of your meetings for the ditching?

bez7 and daninstl like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great points on the airport rate/surcharges. Of course if I keep it overnight it will just add cost potentially. I'll check into that though. Thanks.

bez7 likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, Great map for the rental locations. Thanks !

bez7 likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I saw the Carmel service in my research. If I go that route I'll try to use your referral code. Thanks.

bez7 likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends entirely on where he's going... E 141st has a bunch of schools, and there's no parking on some sides before 4pm. They also have late morning alternate side parking, so finding an available space might be tricky at best, or it can mean that he will have to come down and deal with moving the car. Like I said, if nothing else a garage will do, but considering UberX is probably $25 each way he's probably better off taking a cab and not having to deal with the mess.

That whole area of Brooklyn from Prospect Park to the basin is residential, so you'll find nothing but brownstones and no garages, and with no parking meters it means that people never really move so you have to be lucky to find a space. There is alternate side there but it's early morning Tuesdays and Fridays so that won't play too big of a role. There's also a school at 7th Ave, and that reduces the number of parking spots available in the area since it means no street parking allowed before 4pm.

The subway might be a hike depending on where he has to go, but at least he won't have to contend with driving around aimlessly looking for a parking spot -- assuming he doesn't just give up because of the traffic. :)

bez7 and flyforawg like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay in Flushing because there is actually civilization there but it is near enough to the airport. Taxi or car service to the Bronx. Subway to Brooklyn. Train back out to Flushing that night and hotel shuttle or taxi in the morning to LGA.

The subway ride from the Bronx to Brooklyn will suck a little bit but almost certainly better than dealing with driving that section of the trip.

12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Adding another voice to the good advice above. If you can drop off conveniently and within budget in Bronx, that's best. Otherwise, drop at LGA, uber to Bronx, train to Brooklyn and train or uber to LGA hotel. Google maps can give you a good sense of the time of driving vs. public transit. Hotel shuttle to airport for cheapest way, but honestly an uber isn't going to cost you more than $8 from any of the local hotels, so it's convenience vs. a few dollars.

Do yourself a big favor and avoid the stress and hassle of driving and parking. Peace of mind will be worth it.

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    More great advice. Thanks. I like the idea of staying in Flushing. That might also save a taxi or car service leg over my original plan also.

bez7 likes this.
  14. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forgot National Car Rental, which to my recollection is located north of Dollar Rent A Car.

15. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYC stands for Nuke Your Car.

Betty Boop, bez7, bigx0 and 1 other person like this.
  16. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could be guessing totally wrong but S. 5th in Brooklyn I'm thinking Bedford Ave area which does have a lot of meters and even without em, parking isn't TOO bad. Though now that I think of it I slap my forehead and say "If you're going soon there's snow. So while alternate side parking is suspended but lots of parking spaces are filled with snow instead of cars."

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton there seems to be on top of a subway station. It's unique with its Chinese style, not surprising since it's location in the Chinatown area. Some rooms have water and runway views.

bez7 likes this.
  18. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds classy I bet they have color TV and HBO in addition to "water" :) Sorry it just sounded funny to me when I read it. I was looking at that hotel and the new Hyatt Place there as well. The Runway views might push me over the top on the decision though.

bez7 likes this.
  19. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're driving at all around rush hour times you're better off on transit, and throw in bad weather and a car is not the way to go.

One year the family and I decided EWR was a better option since it was cheaper all around than JFK...but we landed at 4:30pm-ish and had to get out to Long Island...we'll never make that dumb mistake again. Even though we knew exactly where we wanted to drive we still hit a huge mess! 3+ hours from EWR to Hicksville...should have just paid the extra to fly into Kennedy.

daninstl, flyforawg and viguera like this.
  20. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot will depend on what time you need to be in the Bronx and what time you need to be in Brooklyn.

I am thinking car service to Bronx and Brooklyn. Brooklyn should hopefully be okay if its mod afternoon before rush hour.

21. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. I'm looking at being in the Bronx at about 9am and Brooklyn in early afternoon and heading back to LGA area hotel before too late in the afternoon.

22. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    To Bronx: Car service will be easiest from the LGA airports. If your staying near main st then you could take the subway - approx 1 hour depending on how far you need to go once you get off.

To Brooklyn: car service just for simplicity. Traffic should be okay around that time.

Back to hotel: all depends if you want to stop in the city for dinner

23. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK here is the recap of what I did and learned:

Monday: I drove into NYC and got to Avis at LGA at about 9pm. I experienced terrible service there. Took the shuttle over to the D terminal and called Hyattplace Flushing to pick me up. They arrived in about 15 minutes. Very cold about 4 degrees out so it was nice to wait inside the terminal while waiting.
    Cost and lesson so far: A one way rental with Avis from DCA $200 plus gas and NJ turpike and bridge tolls. It would have been much cheaper to drop and stay out in Newark I'm thinking. The shuttle tickets from DCA, BWI, etc. much too expensive during this period.

Arrived at the HyattPlace Flushing at about 10pm only to find out that Pointshound screwed up my reservation. Luckily the best front desk person in the world (Kristine ? I think) at the Hyatt got a hold of Pointshound and got them to rebook me at the nearby ParcHotel as the HyattPlace was sold out. The ParcHotel was very nice and only about 2 blocks of 4 degree and ice covered walking. The Hyatt offered to shuttle me over even. ParcHotel was actually about $25 a night cheaper so Pointhound in theory will refund me the difference.

20150223_221108.jpg

Lesson and note to self: Maybe not use Pointshound in the future? If I stay at ParcHotel Flushing make sure to ask for a North facing room so I can again view the LGA airfield and flights (NICE).

Tuesday: Was able to travel to the Bronx via the Main Street Flushing subway station. Cost about $2.75. Took care of business there and took the subway to The Bronx, another $2.75. Took care of business there and headed back to Flushing, another $2.75. Not bad.

20150224_084158.jpg

Lesson: Don't swipe your Metro subway card in two different turnstiles. If it doesn't take the first time stay on that one so you don't lose $2.75 (My bad). Oh and don't do a walking tour of NYC when it's 4 degrees out. It effects the train schedule, crowding and your body.

Able to find good Chinese food and even visit the Mall next to the ParcHotel which was a very nice location.

Lesson: Start learning Cantonese or Mandarin or something since everywhere you go lately there are Chinese tourist :)

Wednesday: Used local car service to LGA at 5am. Flat rate $22 plus tip of course. US Airways flight out of Terminal C. Enjoyed the AA club there and met a super nice guy that claimed to be an 18 year Chairman member due to his frequent travel along the East coast. He knew everyone in the airport. He knew that you can get a Wall Street Journal at the Delta Shuttle area and better coffee. AA only has NY Times and USA Today.

Lesson: AA club at LGA Terminal C is required to have CNN on 5 TV's and ESPN on two TV's however you can request they change it. Once you leave or after so long they have to change it back.

20150225_063930.jpg

24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking there are probably 200 ways to get from DCA into New York for cheaper than a $200 rental and tolls / gas. I guess you were restricted on your dates? Hell, even Acela is cheaper than that. :)

daninstl likes this.
  25. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your right. I had some business calls along the way so I needed the car until I got to NYC. I also had a short window when I booked. I had looked at the train and airlines options but it was higher or didn't work for my schedule and location. It was not very well planned on my part. Live and learn.

viguera likes this.