Need advice for hotels and activities in New York

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Jul 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone

I'll be taking my wife to New York in February/March for our anniversary trip. We'll have one night in late Feb and three nights in early March.

Never been to the city. Need suggestions as to hotels (especially which to avoid). I'm an SPG plat, and we don't have many *points at the moment... hoping to maximise comfort/dollar but can also splash out a little.

Appreciate any advice :)

IDGflygirl, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Starwood, I like Le Parker Meridian and then the Westin Times Square as the rooms are larger than the W New York. I generally use Points & Cash in NYC. I haven't tried Element yet which is newer.

jbcarioca, uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can echo Le Parker Meridien. Westin TS is fine, but a bit of a factory. For romantic trips, I prefer the W to Westin TS and roughly equal with LPM.

For restaurants, I'm not very adventurous in NYC. My favorites are mostly places that have been there for a while. Pershing Square is my go-to breakfast place under the Park Ave bridge at Grand Central. Grand Central Oyster Bar for a bowl of a-la-minute chowder.

I like City Crab on Park Ave. and Puglia's in Little Italy. There are definitely more exciting/cosmopolitan choices, but these are the places to revisit.

uggboy, sendaiben and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I echo Le Parker Meridien for Starwood also.
    IMHO the most romantic spot for an anniversary dinner, or Sunday brunch is One if by Land, Two if by Sea. They have really great Sunday jazz brunches.. Mrs. jbc and I have spent many special occasions there. http://www.oneifbyland.com
    There are a good many otehrb such places, but for US history buffs this one is really special because it is located in what was allegedly the coach house of Aaron Burr. History does not confirm the story, but Armand Braiger, the owner, has buffed the romantic history a little bit. A delightful place mostly populated by denizens of the neighbourhood.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am familiar only with the W hotel on Lexington Ave because I hang out there at their lobby bar and nightclub, as I know the bartenders and some other folks there. The W lobby is huge and comfortable, but I know nothing about the rooms to be able make recommendations. The property simply looks nice to me. This SPG property is, in fact, right across the street from the Waldorf Astoria...

sendaiben and jbcarioca like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've put family up at the LPM for the last few years and its a good hotel, though they now charge a 'resort' fee which is a bit of a downer for Platinums (who gain nothing from it).

On the plus side, in the past, they have had C+P offers, and I have been able to secure Jr Suites for $99 more. Another plus is the location, central to many things and mass transit.
    The pool overlooking Central Park is a great sight, esp if the day is cold and you wish to relax.

On the negative side, the staff seem disengaged (which is a huge negative if you ever need anythign), esp at the Knave, where the hot chocolate and croissants are the choice du jour (and as an amenity offering for Plats). Otherwise, food (Norma's, Burger Joint and Knave are good).

If oyu are interested in LPM, I would recommend joining their email list. In the winter months, they often have specials. I think I also have one or two Managers contacts.

Of the other SPGs, I have only been in or recommend the W Union Sq, but that stay was a while ago, and more because it is in the DT area (though as a Gold in the early days, they gave me a suite and a huge swag bag as part of Fashion week.)

For upscale, the Chatwal looks pretty nice, but again not much info on that hotel.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Can't emphasize the mailing list enough. They had Junior Suite offers in the summer time recently for $199 which is a pretty solid rate for NYC.

canucklehead, jbcarioca and sendaiben like this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Chatwal is the best SPG property in NYC these days IMHO. Absolutely love the place. Only a handful of rooms (around 70) makes it a quiet awesome place with excellent service. Standard rooms are huge for NYC and upgrades are plentiful. It's a modern St. Regis type of property.

The Parker Meridien is a little hit and miss. I've never paid for an upgrade and always received a junior suite as a plat. No way I'd pay 99 or 199 extra for that, I'd just give them a call and make them aware of the occasion, should be sufficient to get that rolling. Contrary to the many whiny reviews I've read on another forum, I've never had a bad stay there and I've had a few dozen

W on Lex is starting to show wear and upgrades are shady.. And the standard rooms are the tiniest I've ever stayed at in Manhattan, so I wouldn't risk it. It's not as cool as it used to be and there nothing romantic about it. The one in Union square is noisy, all suites face the square and has very poor insulation. The W downtown is at a bad location and have very few suites. I've never been upgraded there

9. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that of the SPG hotels I have stayed at in New York, the Chatwal is probably the nicest. It requires a lot of Starpoints per night -- I think 30K -- although I have seen some cash and points availability in the past. Rates can be very expensive. If you have AAA, you might be able to save something like $100 per night (though still really pricey). But the rooms are very nice, service is wonderful, and there is a nice bar/restaurant (Lambs Club) on the second floor.

I have found Le Parker Meridien to be a bit hit or miss, with some spectacular misses, so it is no longer a "go to" hotel for me. That said, I have had some good stays and upgrades there. If you can't get one of the great prepaid rates mentioned above, you might make a refundable reservation and then call either the hotel or Platinum Concierge to see if they can score you a confirmed upgrade in light of the anniversary. As mentioned above, the breakfast / brunch at Normas in the lobby is very good, as is the Burger Joint.

I think the best of the W Hotels is the one in Union Square but it has lost much of its shine over the years. But it is probably the best choice if you want a downtown location, and there again if you can find a decent refundable rate it might be worth seeking some advance confirmation that you'll get a good upgrade.

Good luck!

10. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Things to do....hmm....a play (Book of Mormon if you can get tickets), MOMA (The Rain Room), Guggenheim, for dinner try Spice Market, Budakon, Tao, Shake Shack on 8th Ave.

dc_traveler, sendaiben and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. andreasjonas

andreasjonas New Member

Status Points:
    I would also go for the Chatwal. My brother was on a business trip in New York last month and stayed there. He rates him high. I'd recommend however looking at some sites that offer cheap hotels of good quality and compare prices. I always check at http://new-york.hotelscheap.org/ as they have some nice last-minute-deals.
    Cheers!

jbcarioca, sendaiben and Kalboz like this.