Need Advice for Gift Card Purchasing / Credit Card Spending and Accruing Points on Groceries

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by muhmuhmuhmark, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. muhmuhmuhmark

muhmuhmuhmark Active Member

Status Points:
    I buy a lot of gift cards. I am talking at least $3000 worth a month for uses for my business. I am looking for a way to maximize my savings when I purchase the gift cards. I am from the Pittsburgh area and the main grocery chain that we have in the area is Giant Eagle. Giant Eagle is my primary source for gift card as they offer .20 cents off per gallon of gas (fuel perks) for every $50 you spend in the grocery store (which includes gift cards). When I buy my gift cards at Giant Eagle, I use my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred Card which gives me 6% cash back on grocery purchases (the gift cards register as a grocery purchase). So I am kind of double dipping with the fuel perks and the amex cash back. My question is... Is there any other sources out there for buying gift cards at a stead pace (with solid inventory) that will give me a better discount/deal that my current method? And is there any credit card perk for use at grocery stores that is better than my 6% cash ( i dont care if it is cash back or points) back that I am getting from amex? Any advice/feedback is very appreciated!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 6% cash back on grocery alone beats pretty much anything else I can think of. The $0.20/gal for $50 is twice as good as my local stores (Kroger, Tom Thumb). I haven't found another option that fits your conditions (solid inventory). Was going to suggest discounted (preowned) cards, but the inventory is finicky.

However, there are two options that are or may be temporary--for one of them, you have to have access to Chase Ultimate Rewards and has been fully disclosed by Frequent Miler. The other is the current 10% cash back at Kohl's from Chase Freedom--Kohl's has a gift card rack. Of course, the latter of these is limited to $1500 a quarter as well.

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

Impressive! You are doing better than anyone I know. I also use my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred to buy gift cards at my local grocer. But I get just .03 off. Of course, with the 6% cash back, the total is over .20 off, so I'm happy with it.
    I enjoy getting about $50 a month cash back from AMEX every month. Sounds like you get around $200 a month back.
    My advice is to be grateful for what you have going. You are doing great.

gwhit21 likes this.
  4. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very impressive. I am going to echo miles and smiles and say keep doing what you are doing.

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My credit union's debit card gives these massive rebates on Rite Aid and Kohl's from time-to-time. And the CapOne* Venture program has put large rebates on Rite Aid and Staples in the past.

* CapOne moved to my undesired list today; received a call that my card had been compromised, CapOne refused to expedite the replacement card.