Need Advice for CC

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jetsetlife, Sep 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello fellow milepointers! I'm new to the forum here and wanted to get some advice for a credit card that would help maximize points on an air carrier. I've done some homework and have realized that a fee-based card is probably not for me, so I'm looking for a recommendation that would take this into account unless any of you have a compelling case proving otherwise. From the looks of it I think the chase sapphire (non preferred card) would be my best bet but I'm open to any other recommendations.

Here are some key facts/constraints:
    • Looking to spend up to $1200 on the card per month
    • Will be making domestic round trips at least once a month
    • DO NOT want to amass miles on AA (bad experience)
    • Most places around me do not accept AMEX so the SPG card would be out of the question.
    • Really want a card that gives me access to international destinations even though i love Southwest
    Any ideas are welcome!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase may be announcing a special offer on a UA card in the coming days. I dont know the exact details, but it is rumored to be an excellent offer. Personally I use AMEX and MR, but if you're looking for something non AMEX, lurk around here around october 4-6. Thats when details/promo are expected to potentially be launched.

Heres a link to the MP thread to keep an eye on.

Jimgotkp and miles and smiles like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint. Please let us know where you are based. You don't want to accumulate miles on an airline that doesn't have much service where you are.

Jimgotkp and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  4. I'm based here in California and every major carrier services my region...

Thanks! Will keep an eye out for the UA offer.

Jimgotkp and miles and smiles like this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What is your primary airport?

miles and smiles and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. SFO is my go to airport

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

What airline do you plan to fly monthly? That may help in providing information regarding recommendations. :)

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Initial thoughts are to look at UA's card programs since SFO is a major UA hub. With certain promo's you are entitled to elite boarding and security benefits, better luggage allowances and also in some cases are given a limited amount of passes to the red carpet club. The down side is that you and everyone else in SFO is going to be primarily a UA flyer and there will be thousands who "out-elite" you. But if its miles you are looking for, then a UA card would seem to be a leading contentder. especially since you get bonus points/miles for buying UA tix with a UA card.
    I know you mentioned you were not a fan of a fee based card, but I would suggest to keep an open and analytic mind, to determine if the benefits of the card outweigh the cost.

If you play your flights right, with the right kind of segments, etc. you can probably work toward Premier Silver or Gold quite easily and get addtl benefits like bonus miles etc.

catgirl likes this.
  9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA was my initial thought too, but wasn't sure if OP had an airline in mind, other than no AA.

If redeeming miles for international destinations is one of the criteria, then the Star Alliance offers the best options.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess capital one is an option but personally I dont have a warm and fuzzy feeling about a generic points card. Dont know why, but just prefer a carrier based card over a catch all card.

11. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am the same way too. I like knowing that using my UA card will net Star Alliance awards.

Are the Cap One cards no fee?

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think so, according to the vikings in the commercial anyway.....

13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw the vikings in a Cap One commercial, "What's in Your Wallet?" :)

14. Thanks for all the input guys! What are your thoughts generally about the Chase Sapphire program vs. the carrier specific cards?​

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The carrier specific cards give you more carrier perks like some lounge passes, baggage, priority boarding etc. So if you can be a one alliance type of flyer, then I would think a carrier card works best. If you dont have a sense of an alliance loyalty then the sapphire or a capital one card may be a better option, you'll just not get any substantial airline perks.

catgirl likes this.
  16. Got it. Thanks all for the help!

17. jblankoh

jblankoh Active Member

Status Points:
    I think Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great option here - you'll hit the $3k threshold for the 50k point bonus easily, and you can transfer those into Continental and United (for Star Alliance), British Airways (for OneWorld), or Korean (for use on Delta, Air France, KLM and other Skyteam). You're pretty well covered there. Or exchange the 50k miles for $625 in purchased travel. Yes, it's $95 after the first year, but if you're not finding any value in the card then just cancel it. But for an everyday earning card it's great, especially since you're getting double points for travel spend and there's no foreign transaction fee.

True, you are giving up free checked bags and early boarding that you get with many airline cards. However, on Star Alliance that is easily achieved by flying 3,000 miles on any Star carrier (United, Continental & US Airways in the United States) and crediting the miles to Aegean Airlines' frequent flyer program (you get 1,000 miles for signing up.) You'll earn "blue" status on Aegean after amassing 4,000 miles in 1 year, which gets you Silver status on Star Alliance. That'll get you early boarding and free checked bags for the year.

druiddation and PointHoarder like this.