Need Advice About Cancelling Reservation with a UA-Initiated Schedule Change

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RNE, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RNE

RNE Silver Member

Status Points:
    TSMRSRNE's flight to EWR (today) was cancelled (yesterday) because of Sandy. No problem. But ENIAC rescheduled today's outbound to November 1. That doesn't work. She wants to cancel the reservation and get a refund, but when she pulls it up on UA.com it wants her to accept the schedule change before it will move forward to the option to cancel. How can she cancel and refund the reservation online? Note: I advised her not to call UA because other travelers are in a worse fix and need it more. But if she cannot cancel this reservation online how can she do so without calling?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she accepts the schedule change then she won't be able to cancel online I believe. So it might be necessary to go ahead and call UA, yesterday's wait times for me as an 1K wasn't too bad (5-15 minutes).

3. RNE

RNE Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Naturally, she ignored my advice and called anyway. The reservation has now been cancelled. Interestingly, ENIAC's phone interface addressed her by name and realized she had a cancelled flight today. It therefore patched her through to a cyborg in less than three minutes.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    1K wait times were surprisingly short this time around. I called three times, each time being answered in less than 5 minutes. I am very impressed.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is probably because the airline was proactive this time around and was better prepared to deal with the situation, for which they should be commended. How do I know? The following is strongly suggestive of what they did:

An automated solution was found to hold the load down on live CSRs!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME just accepting the schedule change online does NOT preclude making future changes which are more in line with actual desired plans. I wouldn't worry about that at all in the future.

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang, this is the 2nd time this year I agree 100% with something you posted:)

Wandering Aramean likes this.