Need additional HH points...Review these options

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by bernalscott, Sep 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bernalscott

bernalscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 65k HH currently and possess the AMEX Hilton (no annual fee) card which allows access to AXON awards. We want to book the Conrad in NY over the holidays for 4 nights and they have AXON availability which would cost 145k HH. Therefore I need to come up with 80k HH if I go this route as it seems like the best value for HH given that we have a rare (for us) 4 night stay and the rooms would run >$600/nt

Options:
    1. Convert 55k AMEX MR into 82,500 HH
    2. Sign my wife up for either AMEX Hilton basic or Surpass which will bring in 40-60k HH after sognup and minimum spend and then convert majority of near term spending to our Hilton cards to make up the remaining balance (this would take time and the AXON availability might disappear)
    3. Sign my wife up for the Citi HH reserve card and use the 2 free weekend nights for the Conrad and pay cash for the remaining 2 nights (this allows the accumulation of more HH and would upgrade my/her status from silver to gold)
    4. ???
    What other options might I have? We also have 150k UR but they aren't transferable to Hilton. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/options...

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

Do you have a mutual fund account with HHonors? If not, how'd you combine your existing points and the ones your wife would get to get the AXON award?

I have in the past received offers from Amex to upgrade my basic HHonors Amex to the Surpass card for (I believe) 50,000 points. Even started a thread here, if I recall correctly.

3. bernalscott

Status Points:
    No we dont have a mutual account...totally spaced that we'd also have to pay fees to convert HH from one account to the other...I guess that scraps option 2 (or makes it less compelling)...

On the notion of upgrading my card, I've only had it for 3 months so I'm not sure it would be upgradeable yet...or if it was I'm not sure I'd get the 2nd bonus yet...

4. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This doesn't help with your problem, but you can refer your wife to your card and you get a referral bonus. Also, login to your Amex account and look at all cards. You can see if an upgrade is available.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I realize this doesn't answer your actual question and you probably thought about it yourself, but you could look into using your UR points to stay at a Hyatt instead of the Conrad.

Or get two Citi HHonors Reserve cards (one for each of you) and use the 2+2 nights.

6. bernalscott

Status Points:
    Going the Hyatt route with our UR pts is the backup option as I do have Hyatt platinum status and the Andaz downtown might be a comparable option...

the problem with the dual Citi accounts is that the 2 free nights are only weekend nights and therefore wouldnt help in this case.

Ami I missing any other ways to acquire HH pts fairly rapidly?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Drobik

Drobik Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the Citi Hilton card, it counts Friday, Saturday and Sunday all as weekend nights for your free nights, so you'd actually only be out of pocket for 1 night, if that changes your metrics at all (assuming your trip covers those 3 days of the week).

8. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are also Hawaiian and Virgin Atlantic cards that earn sign-up bonuses that can be converted into HHonors points.

10. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to webflyer.com and use the calculator for the best way to convert points..... it runs all the scenarios for transfers..

http://www.webflyer.com/

You should convert your AMEX points ...then you convert them to Hilton and will become 110k. THat will solve part of your problem.

The calculator works for many programs and is a great tool.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if that actually works? The T&C's for Hawaiian exclude that option:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianMiles/terms-and-conditions/

(#18 under earning miles)

Points/Miles transferred into a HawaiianMIles Account from another program may not be transferred to a third party loyalty program.

12. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also do Virgin, most people are running through Virgin right now. I dont believe their have been any reports of issues with Hawaiian, and TnC;'s are just that....they are guidelines.

I have not run through Hawaiian but did use Virgin a year ago. I usually just research what comes up on the Webflyer calculator and go that route. Lets just say that its not an uncommon practice to do this process to maximize points.

Do your research on Virgin as well, then you decide......

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the apparently knowledgeable "just guidelines" comment above HA has restricted the transfer of points previously tranferred in from Amtrak and a other program which slips my mind currently ( both of which they had allowed previously).. that I do know for a fact.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. bernalscott

Status Points:
    Awesome...exactly what I was looking for...it looks like we'll go the AMEX MR to Virgin Atlantic to HH for maximal value...What are the typical transfer times like between programs? Will I have any issue with setting up a new Virgin atlantic account and then transferring miles in and out of it rapidly?

Thanks for all of the assistance....

15. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The Virgin transfer has been know to take up to a month. Typically it is a lot less.

There is one other way that could work for you (if you have the time). That is to apply for 2 Citi HHonors cards. Numerous threads on how to do this. It would give you over 100K in sign up bonus'.

16. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Transferring from Virgin Atlantic took me 9 days earlier this month, and it took the author of milevalue.com 4 days in either June or July.
    Another person posted how they had an issue with their transfer. It took them over 30 days, but eventually they got it resolved. Hope that helps.

I'm considering an Axon 4 day reward in February, but not sure where yet (I will probably plan the trip around a great reward stay option). I'll have to keep the Conrad NY in mind as an option.

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's getting late in the game for booking a high-demand room, so I'd be reluctant to rely on CC bonuses that would take time to post. The transfer options would seem like the best bet if getting the room is important enough to accept the relatively poor exchange rate from amex to HH, even with intermediaries (which add risk and delay). As you're looking at a high-value stay that could be reasonable.

If you're not willing to run the very real risk of losing the award, go with the transfer.

18. bernalscott

Status Points:
    Just wanted to close the loop and thank those that replied....I ended up transferring 40k MR to Virgin Atlantic and then immediately transferred them to HH. After about 10-12 days, 80k HH showed up in my account. The same day I was able to confirm a 4 night AXON award at the Conrad NY for Dec 28-Jan 1 (typically ~$500-600/night)...I'm super psyched and feel the 145k HH is excellent value for ~$2000 of rewards....

Thanks everyone...

MX, astraveln and Mikus33 like this.
  19. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats............. Glad it worked out with Virgin. Appreciate you doing the follow-up post as well, that ishelpful to the masses.....

I will be transfering 200k next week!

20. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can book now for $169/nt. The only rooms costing $600 are premier suites which are 160k points per night. Unless you are talking about staying New years Eve.

21. bernalscott

Status Points:
    Yes my travel dates are Dec 28-Jan 1...and the agent did book me into a premier suite for the 145k HH...not sure if that is normal but thats what my reservation indicates...All of these dates are currently $459/nt...I cant find any $169/nt rooms over the holidays...but if you know of some search engine which does, please PM me the details:)