Need a quick BA partner awards tutorial

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Aktchi, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a BA newbie except for the 100K Chase/BA miles and am trying to book LHR-DEL rt.

BA's surcharges in economy (real economy not premium) added up to almost $500: For a little more I could get a revenue ticket on another carrier that costs no miles, in fact earns miles! So, even at 50% miles not a great deal.

Next I would like to look into BA partners: AY, RJ, CX, etc. Can I do this online or do I have to call BA? (The booking page says we'd be offered partner flights only if BA are not available; how to get around that and book a partner anyway?)

Finally, which partner would be best in terms of service and no/least surcharge?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Those are very helpful. I have just one question remaining: If BA flights are available on certain date (so partner ones won't be shown), how to book partner tickets on that date?

Later Edit. The answer was provided by potakas at TOBB:

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I did some research and here is an update.

On BA, LHR-DEL-LHR comes to 25K miles + $462.

On Finnair (no mixing with other carriers), it comes to 50K miles + $555. This was a surprise as I had hoped the taxes would be lower for non-BA airlines. (Only Finnair was offered among partner airlines.)

With AA miles, I can use 40K miles for economy, and 60K for Business, both with lower taxes (Business was $320 IIRC). The same OW airlines. I think I'd go with Business Class. :)

All in all, even at 1/2 miles BA does not seem attractive. The only advantage of BA awards appears to be the ability to take stopovers, and I think I would save my BA miles for when I have time for that.