NEED A DL RUN

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TAW, Aug 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TAW

TAW Member

Status Points:
    Im near SYR willing to drive to the city for JFK and LGA. I need just under 8700 miles to reach gold on Delta. I looked into anchorage but all my options i found came up 200 miles short of Gold. Please help if you know of any runs.

2. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you already have a Delta Reserve card from Amex? You can get 10k mqms after first purchase and also free access to skyclub lounges with other benefits to add as well. Yearly fee would probably cost the same as a MR, but you would save time in the process.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LAX-SJC-LAX-JFK

This showed up on Delta for $220 all in, so a couple of runs should give you 10k+

Or you can do one r/t (5,500 miles) and JFK-AUS-JFK for $140 in October and that should net you 9k miles.

deltagoldLass and rookie10 like this.
  4. TAW

TAW Member

Status Points:
    Yes i have the reserve business card. And i will def look into JFK-AUS-JFK. Can I receive MQMs with a rewards ticket?

deltagoldLass likes this.
  5. TAW

TAW Member

Status Points:
    Im new to the Mileage Run game. How do you find these and what do you mean by all in?

6. wto605

wto605 Member

Status Points:
    If you already have the card you can't go that route :-(

All in is taxes included (as opposed to just the fare dollars).

You don't earn anything on award tickets. (well, airline award tickets, there are some credit card rewards that look like cash to the airline, ones that I know of is Capital One's purchase eraser and using membership rewards points on amextravel).

The objective is a mileage run is to earn as many MQM/MQS (whatever will get you there) the cheapest. Measured in cents per mile (CPM) the objective tends to be 5~6 at maximum but really depends on where you live/fly out off. Sure you may be able to get <4 CPM by driving to JFK, but is the gas/parking worth it? I prefer to factor that in but it's preference.

As for DL deals, that SJC one is a good one (saw it on The Flight Deal twitter earlier today). Also from TFD it seems UA/DL were at war over LIM attacking each other's hubs so maybe look at that.

I follow TFD and sign up for airfare watchdog out of my airports etc. and watch for fares that will suit my schedule (I can only do weekends, prefer same-day turns, etc.). Then I use Matrix (see theflightdeal for a tutorial, I can't post links yet so google "Beginner’s Guide on How To Use Matrix by ITA Software.") to find the exact flights. Book with your preferred source (presumably delta.com if you have the amex).

cchagadorn, viguera and rookie10 like this.
  7. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    HPN also occasionally has good deals on DL flights and might be closer to your home.