Need a 9 mile mileage run...

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Omikron, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Omikron

Omikron Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, I'm only half-kidding. :)

Apparently I thought I had 1K status locked with my latest travel finishing up on the 20th but it appears I was mistaken, and I will be 9 miles short of 100,000.

What is the cheapest way to pick up these miles? Do car rentals count? Other thoughts?

Jimgotkp, YULtide and harvson3 like this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jimgotkp and YULtide like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you decide to fly for these miles, try to find a ticket that maximizes your redeemable miles for the price.

4. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely good advice. I was about 200 miles short and almost bought a quick hop. My sense got the better of me and I instead bought a cheap fair to Miami for the same price. Might as well earn 4000 miles instead of just 1000.

5. retirementdreams

retirementdreams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spoken like a true mileage junkie.

Ed74, Casey Friday and zpaul like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can trade in 10,000 RDM's for 1,000 EQM's...not the best deal in the world but could get you what you need without flying.

Also, was there any point in the year when you had a change of itinerary? If so, you can call and request your mileage as booked. For example one time I was booked ORD-OMA-DEN but ended up flying direct ORD-DEN because of an oversold situation. Obviously having the extra stop would have added more miles, so I called United and asked for them, no problem.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried asking UA? I know DL doesn't do "close enough, so here's a cigar" because of rollover MQMs, but I don't know about UA/AA.

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO Elite Maximizer miles is said to work quite well.

Also, as hulagrrl210 mentions, you can redeem 10,000 redeemable CHOICES miles for 1,000 EQMs. Choices are redeemable miles earned through spend on mileage plus visas (not sure if it's applicable to the new Explorer card) which you can trade in for EQMs at a rate of 10,000:1,000. You can't just redeem any ol' RDMs for EQMs, however.

9. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't driving to the airport count? :p

10. Omikron

Omikron Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish...

Clearly the only appropriate solution is to build a small regional airport 9 miles from another existing airport, convince United Express to service the airport, book a flight, then fly it.

Cake. Totally workable within 15 days. :)

11. lohiadk

lohiadk Silver Member

Status Points:
    And you would get the 500 mile per segment for flying 9 miles ;) didn't they have a LAX-BUR flight at one time

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is COS-DEN. Or for the east coast, US has some real short hops out of CLT

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP should not be minimizing the length of the trip in miles but maximizing the benefits he/she obtains in addition to the 9 miles. Typically this would mean maximizing the number of redeemable miles earned for the price or, alternatively, maximizing the number of redeemable miles earned per dollar spent.

Or the OP could find an inexpensive(?) trip that he/she wants to take.