Need 8600 miles on UA to make 1k any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jdstrum, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jdstrum

jdstrum Active Member

Status Points:
    I fly out of the DC area

2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, for that amount of EQMs needed, that would be costly. Can the OP do a mileage run to Europe. With off-peak travel (maybe on Xmas or day after?), the pricing may be better than the Elite maximizer, especially since the maximizer has to first be bundled with RDM maximizer.

TAHKUCT and mowogo like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not realized that the cost of EQM went up so much. At the present time one can buy EQM's for $0.13 per mile so it will cost op $1118. The sample coach fare IAD to LHR is $748 or $1953 in Business. Agree with jetsetr, mileage run to Europe is a great idea.

5. jdstrum

jdstrum Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I am trying to get a MR to Europe -- but that also seems to be running $1200 to $1600. I may opt for two west coast runs.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe look at a run to ANC via IAH. That will put you at about 9k or so. (IAD-IAH-SEA-ANC and back). (Don't know costs as I just checked the miles using the iPhone app)

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price is around 1k for IAD-ANC and that is not on United, but I think US Airways.

8. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It's CO. I only have the CO app on my phone. But either way, waiting till the end you are going to end up paying more.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify. The price was $1k on US Airways. CO/UA was significantly more

10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Ok gotcha. Now we are on the same page. :)

11. RDimperio

RDimperio Active Member

Status Points:
    Dublin is often inexpensive from the east coast. Any options to South America?

12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking out of CLE and found a $851 AI fare to LHR (CLE-ORD-LHR), which you can do Dec 24-25th. I wonder if you look from DCA or BWI that you could not get a similar deal. You would get more than 8500 miles and it is a lot less than ANK, although you will not be eligible for EUA/UDU. I think that you should look East, young man, look East.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking a variety of flights from DC area TATL, the cheapest seems to be in the $750 range + taxes, and generally are for outbound Dec 24th return Dec 25/26th. If the OP doesn't want to travel during the holiday, it almost makes sense to go the maximizer route for only a hundred bucks or so more.
    As an example, I priced out-
    Dec 24: IAD CO 918 to LHR ..... LHR CO 9318 (LH) to FRA ....FRA CO 8892 (LH) to WAW Total EQM 4,638
    Dec 25 WAW LH 1353 (50% eqm) to FRA (overnight in FRA- cost of hotel must be included)
    Dec 26 FRA CO 917 to IAD Total EQM 4,081.
    AI Cost (not counting hotel stay) = $939.70 ($781 + taxes)
    Grand total of EQM for trip 8,973

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. jdstrum

jdstrum Active Member

Status Points:

15. jdstrum

jdstrum Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I ended up with a same day RT from IAD-SJC via Den for $300 and an RT IAD-LAX-SFO/ SJC-IAH-IAD for $375. A lot just to hit 1K -- but the upgrades are worth it.

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    doubt it, looking a cities/destinations that are in their summer is generally not cheap, look at crappy weather destinations for 'generally' cheap fares.

17. RDimperio

RDimperio Active Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point and I agree but I'd still check especially if it is somewhere I want to visit. The cpm might go up but so might the personal value. You never know with air fares.

18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no doubt, I'm not suggesting to be a traveling marytr for the sake of a low fare. I would say on a personal note I've had far better tourist experiences going in the off season to a place than high or even shoulder season. Example: Christmas Day at Church of St Peter at Westminster (Westminster Abbey), we went for service, the pastor gets up into the pulpit, sees that there are a measly 20 people in the whole congregation & makes the statement "well it seems that the Christmas Eve service is more popular" to which we all laughed, he then got down and invited all of the congregation to sit up in the choir section. I'm not a very religious guy but that service was so intimate and special, no way we are getting that during high or shoulder season.

Titans26 and erthcrclr like this.
  19. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I get an amen!
    Great story.

Sweet Willie and Titans26 like this.