Need 8,000 miles to make Premier Platinum on UA

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by 767heavy, Nov 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 767heavy

767heavy Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am in need of about 8,000 miles to make Premier Platinum on UA.

Any suggestions?

I live close to EWR and my dates are flexible.

Thanks.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-HNL-EWR there was some good fares earlier in October, not sure if they are still available.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=EWR-HNL-EWR

That yields 9925 miles round trip (and you can do a same day return if you wish).

Good Luck :)

8MiHi, NYCUA1K and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYC-SMF is available from $255 in early December (mostly out of LGA). Try routing through IAH and SFO/LA. That will get you about 6,000 miles. You could do one of those, and then a shorter trip somewhere else.

Kalboz, mht_flyer and 8MiHi like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try flexible dates for EWR-HNL, direct gets you almost 10,000 PQMs and the cheapest fares I see are $539. I know you might have to make it a long weekend with your SO which would make it more expensive. Waikiki has many decent inexpensive hotels. I am doing a EWR-SFO-PHX-IAH-EWR MR in early December for $280 getting me 5625 PQMs. May not be as cheap as the LGA flight above, but I can park for $6.49/ day and no tolls.:)

Kalboz, hulagrrl210 and mht_flyer like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same-day or overnight to HNL is definitely the easiest way to get it done. There might be others coming in a smidgen cheaper but they'll take more time.

Kalboz, mht_flyer and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am going to HNL I am definitely going to stop and spend some time on the beach. Since the direct EWR flight is in the evening, one night can work, but if its a pure PQM run then there and back again same day (+1) is possible. The snorkling off of Waikiki is not always very good (my avatar picture is from Waimea Bay on the North Shore) but I would go for it.:D

Kalboz and mht_flyer like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I stayed for a night last weekend when I did a similar run but that was mostly because the flight prices demanded it. I'm not at all a fan of the Waikiki area and would be happy to go and come right back without missing anything from that "beach" or the crowds in the area.

Jett Rink, Kalboz and 8MiHi like this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has become substantially more touristy and less native, but I have had wonderful discussions with tourists from all over the Pacific there with Aussies and Japanese predominating. It reminds me of a Pacific version of Portabello Road in London where one can hear a half dozen languages standing in one spot.:cool:

mht_flyer and Kalboz like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fan of Waikiki either but I stayed there one night last week and actually had a very fun time on a rented stand up paddle board catching small waves there. If you don't surf riding a wave in an outrigger canoe is a very touristy, yet bucket list worthy activity to do there. Love it or hate it, Waikiki still has a pretty decent beach.

Kalboz and 8MiHi like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I cannot agree with this last bit at all. The beach there is just not very nice at all. I've been to far too many around the world which are actually good to believe that Waikiki Beach is anything other than a manufactured tourist magnet designed to keep the actual nice beaches on the island clear of tourists.

Jett Rink, Kalboz and 8MiHi like this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You've discovered one of the great secrets. I just happen to enjoy the tropical asian urban beach known as Waikiki with Turtles, surfers, some snorkeling and numerous festivals by the zoo or in the park near the tunnel into Diamond Head. Most of the really ideal beaches are on the North Shore or by Koko Head on Oahu.

Kalboz and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grew up on Maui and have been to my share of "actually good" beaches around the world too (whatever that was supposed to mean). I still can appreciate Waikiki for what it is. I'm sorry that your travels have made you so jaded. There are certainly far worse beaches (or places) OP could go on his mileage run!

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For starters, I generally am biased against beaches which are manufactured rather than occurring naturally.

And, while there are certainly worse places one can end up on a trip, I wouldn't pick Waikiki if the goal is a good beach to relax on for a few hours.

Jett Rink likes this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, Waikiki isn't manufactured. The hotels are there for a reason because of the beach (and they went through a lot of trouble to reclaim the surrounding land as it used to be a swamp- that is why there is the Ala Wai canal). If you want to know what a manufactured beach looks like, head out to Ko Olina or the Big Island. It is true that sand is brought in to help with erosion and that the beach has been "enhanced" over the years, but there has always been a beach there. It is in the middle of a city and highly populated tourist area, so naturally there are crowds, but did you even get in the water? It's nice (surprisingly) ...and warm, making it better than just about any beach on the west coast. What makes Waikiki so unique to Hawaii, is the gentle break without the presence of a reef. I don't think you could ask for a better place to learn how to surf because of the sandy bottom there. Most other beaches in Hawaii either are in protected lagoons with no waves (like Lanikai) or susceptible to dangerous shore breaks (like Wailea and Ka'anapali on Maui). If you are looking simply to relax, Waikiki beach is probably not the place for you. In all honesty you'd probably be better off bobbing around in a floating bean bag chair at the Sheraton's infinity pool. But if you are looking for an activity (other than shopping or getting drunk) and you're otherwise stuck in Honolulu, Waikiki is a great place.

mht_flyer, cvsara, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, for a few hours, I find Waikiki to be wonderful. If I was looking to truly get away for several days that might be a different story. There are few 'wonderful' beaches that are convenient to a good MR airport. That might make a great new thread, though...:)

17. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing the MR to HNL would be a good way to spend at least "US$550" on macadamias...

8MiHi, mht_flyer and Kalboz like this.
  18. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you live near EWR, I would suggest EWR-IST-EWR. I booked one recently for IAD-EWR-IST-EWR-IAD for just over 600. The version starting from EWR was under 600. Plenty of weekend turns in Dec were open when I booked. Great deal if they are still around. I fly mine in early Dec for over 11K miles.

8MiHi, hulagrrl210, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IST is a great option and if I had a choice for where to spend 12-24 hours at the same price point I'd take IST every single time. It does require a passport and a $20 visa on arrival unless you're doing a same-day turn.

20. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My colleague is looking for 2 MRs to get up to 1k. I suggested IST as mentioned here. Not a bad price, weekend return EWR-IST-EWR Dec 1 weekend and December 8 weekend is 651.00, not bad for 10k EQM

If you stay over Sunday night it's 620.00.

This looks like it will be a MR for me next year, never been to IST, been to many places in middle east such as RUH and DOH but not IST.

8MiHi likes this.
  21. SkyTeam777

SkyTeam777 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am going to be 5-6k short of 1K, but can only travel Dec. 19 onwards...of course, want to be home around Christmas Day too...looks like Im stuck. Traveling from GSO, but am willing to spend 10k UA redeemable miles to get to a hub or nearby city to make it work.

8MiHi likes this.
  22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get almost 5400 miles for a GSO - EWR - SEA - IAD -GSO weekend MR Dec 15/16 for $440. I know its before the 19th, but thats the best I see for now. If your that close, it might be worth buying the PQMs. The upgrades (RPUs and GPUs) at 100K are well worth the cost.

23. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am on a mileage run as I write this. My EWR-SFO-PHX outbound was blown by paperwork as UA572 was cancelled this morning because there was no paperwork available for maintenance that was completed last night. I was put on a EWR-IAH-PHX routing by a capable agent in the EWR UC.
    Making the trip much more fun, however, was that I was upgraded on both flights, something that has not happened in months. The front cabin of the IAH-PHX leg was well served by FA Donna.
    The change in itinerary will cost me 800+ PQMs if I don't get UA to honor the original reservation. Since it does matter to the extent that this would reduce my 'never' expiring Flex PQMs, I intend to ask for the 5625 PQMs vs the 4808 I should receive from these flights.

24. Chipper01

Chipper01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I need advice as well. I'm looking a mileage run the last week of December to reach the 1K level what is the most cost effective way to get 8K miles. I live in Denver

25. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pay-up miles at this date are expensive, but I am not sure you will do substantially better with flights. There may be some multi-stop domestic routes that can get you what you need or some grand adventure international flights can get you there. Internationally I would check out-of-season non big business routes like DEN-DUB or DEN-SNN. Go onto the website and then check 'My Dates are Flexible' and narrow the days you intend to take. The prices I saw for these were in the $800-$900 range for December 14 departures.
    There are many more expert flyers who have posted here, so I would search the postings first and look for tools to help, but I enjoy digging through my own possibilities first.