Need 30,000 Choice points

Discussion in 'Choice | Privileges' started by UA191, Mar 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for a way to earn 30,000 CP points... they're $11/1,000 to buy, which isn't bad... but just wondering if there are any better ways to earn them? I'm in Canada, so their card only earns a paltry 8k points.

Not sure if anybody would be interested, but I'd be willing to trade 30,000 IHG points 12,500 avios or 18,000 Hyatt points for 30,000 CP points.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is to find somebody who has 10K Amtrak points & transfer-out privileges. S/He can transfer directly to your Choice (10K AGR becomes 30K Choice) for no fee! I have an account with 13K Amtrak but NOT transfer-out privileges. If some Milepoint member has transfer-out privileges, s/he can also use my points for train tickets while transferring their own Amtrak to you, while I take your Hyatt!

UA191 likes this.
  3. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Sounds interesting... how does one get transfer-out privileges?

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to suggest using the Choice Privileges shopping portal, but it appears no love for our Canadian friends :( :

Can I use the Choice Privileges Mall if I live outside the U.S.?
    You may use the Choice Privileges Online Mall if you are a resident and a Choice Privileges member in any of the following countries: United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy. However, the Online Mall will only have U.S. merchants and be available in English and U.S. Dollars. International shipping is dependent upon the retailer.

UA191 likes this.
  5. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen with a US address, so I should be able to use it. What's the best way to get 30,000 points on the cheap through the portal?

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    icurhere2 and UA191 like this.
  7. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would like to know your time frame too. I have seen the sign up bonus on the MBNA Choice Credit card go up from 8,000 to 24,000 sign up bonus if you are willing to wait around.

UA191 and miles and smiles like this.
  8. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My trip is the second week of May so Daily Getaways won't work. :(

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA191 and miles and smiles like this.
  10. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    miles and smiles likes this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never personally used the Choice shopping portal, but most online shopping portals do not typically give points for buying gift cards.So be aware of this, as you may not get any points for using the Choice portal to purchase gift cards.Then you'd be stuck with gift cards with possibly 0 points for their purchases.

Also as others have asked what your time frame is, I'm also curious.

If you did go the Choice portal route [but it appears the credit card may be the best option] it may take a bit for the points to post for purchases. Possibly months for the points to post.

Also hopefully they don't use IP tracking software, because despite having a U.S. address, I don't know whether this could be a factor in denying credit for the points using portal because of them detecting a Canadian IP. Again, this may or may not matter, just something to think about.

UA191 likes this.
  12. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. By riding Amtrak trains often enough to earn Select status; or 2. By getting an AGR Visa card from Chase & using it to buy >$200 in train tickets in a calendar year.