Need 1678 miles for silver on Continental

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by sscontinental, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sscontinental

sscontinental Member

Status Points:
    I also just got a onepass plus card, but it seems there are some benefits to qualify for silver status. True or False? If true, any ideas how to get 1678 miles cheaply before the end of the year? I fly out of SJC or SFO.

Thanks,

misman likes this.
  2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest you buy them. I know that CO offers that option, but I'm not sure what the policies surrounding it are.

misman likes this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint, sscontinental. Suggest you check out the UACO forum at http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/united-mileage-plus-including-continental.99/ just to see what some others may say.

What do you want Silver status for? If your goal is upgrades, the 2012 may not be generous enough for that the extra 1678 miles; however, if you are going to be traveling a lot in 2012, the opportunity (and additional Silver bonus) may be worth the cost of the miles.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    To most here, Silver is really not worth the expense, but if you really want it just book any flight and take the miles maximizer option after booking. Then within 24 hours just cancel the flight. Your maximizer miles will post to your account. (Obviously at this close to year end, the cost for those maximizer miles will be pretty hefty :rolleyes: )

6. sscontinental

sscontinental Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I tried that as I saw it posted earlier, and it was over $500 for the miles, so not worth it. I think I'll stick with the benefits from the one pass card next year. Appreciate all the input!