Near-MM Conversation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by desamo, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a conversation with a near-MM (million mile) friend the other day. He's within 50k miles of MM, so he's at that point where he's feeling trapped by his choice of program and sees opportunities opening up soon.

I asked him why he didn't use his FF miles (he has well over a million) and he said because he wants to get to MM.

Fine, I say, but why not book a UA flight to the nearest hub to where you want to go, then use some of those million RDM miles to get to the next destination you'd like to visit?

I don't think he'd ever thought of that, because he just thought everything should earn MM qualifying miles. Sure, I get that you want as many to count as possible, but if you want to go to Namibia, you're SOL, and I don't think it's necessarily worth waiting to get to MM to do it.

What other odd conversations (about options seeming closed off) have you had with near-MM or what have you yourself experienced?

Sedosi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I approached 1MM I became a bit (very) obsessed about my travel (MRs!) and about the perks that would come for the rest of my travelling life (spousal match is a good thing for me). But not using my FF miles just to have a big number never occurred to me as I would use them to take my wife and children on fun trips. I looked for cost effective mileage runs: EWR - SFO - 5,000 PQMs (took it with family), EWR - HNL - 10,000 PQMs (took it with family) and EWR - SIN - 20,100 PQMs (maybe later) were considered. Most of my travel had been work related, but my business had to cut way back on travel after 2008, so it did take planning to get the best trips for the least money and use of miles for my family.:cool:

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you live close to EWR other airlines aren't real alternatives in many cases. Having UA Gold when you travel from EWR is a good thing. I view my options as having been opened since I can consider taking trips on other airlines without concern for PQMs (except when I'm looking for Platinum) and ask for a status match (I have not done that to date). *A Gold may come in to play as well if I take a trip on *A.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rarely see value in accumulating lots more points once I'm in a position where I have a decent chunk. And if I'm 1K anyways I'd rather redeem and ensure the value of those points than keep going after MM and pooling up more miles than I'm normally happy with in my account.

Proximity to MMer and the most current set of rules has, unfortunately, seen me shifting some of my MR travel to UA metal more than I'd necessarily prefer, but other than that not so much.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not so much that as he just doesn't see the point of using the award miles because they won't increase his lifetime miles, and that's his current primary goal.

I see the point, which is why I have so few. :)

Of corse, I only have 72k lifetime miles on UA, having switched over to UA as a carrier late last year.

stephenbgarvan and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well then it will take fewer than 49 EWR-SIN flights to get you to 1MM. Sounds like he is as obsessed as I was. I flew EWR -LHR in July on a supersaver award and felt wrong about doing it.

desamo likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem for me is that I cannot be 1K and use a lot of earned miles. Not enough time to travel. Getting to MM (870k at the moment) is playing a minor role now that I am within 1.5-2 years of that. So it's a matter of deciding what is more important. It looks right now like I am going to drop to Platinum for next year... and that means no SWUs and automatically less desire to buy international trips on UA or as revenue tickets.

I do spend miles where flights are just too expensive or for family members. But the accounts are still growing.

I do look forward to MM status as it means more flexibility for how I travel.

stephenbgarvan and 8MiHi like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to visit either Newark or Singapore that much. :)

Should be at 98,460 miles at the end of the year. Maybe I should try to find a route that's as close to 770 miles as possible for a round trip. :)

Darn: MSO (which would be a state I haven't visited) is 769 miles. Also not a non-stop, so doesn't meet the close requirement, either.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there should be a special Adrian Monk award for hitting any big number on the zeroes.

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, he was from San Francisco, you know.

11. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got REALLY close. Here's the screen shot I took just before my MM flight:

999,989 edited.png

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that IS really close!

stephenbgarvan and goalie like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should try and plan my million mile flight very carefully. Still have some time, but maybe I can make it to exactly 1MM. What's the rule they implemented... reach 1MM or pass 1MM? :D

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah....that was towards the middle of last year (ended the year with about 170,000 EQM). When I was getting close, I tried to book my work flights to get me right to either 1,000,000 or 999,999 just for the really cool screenshot. I didn't have any luck with that but I guess being 10 miles off in the grand scheme of things isn't too bad!

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know, maybe ending my 100,000 with 007 isn't a bad thing.

17. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might mean that at seven miles out you will need to skydive out of the plane while being chased by a man with metal teeth.

desamo likes this.
  18. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alternatively, go to London and jump out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would vote awards for those who hit exactly or those whose number is palindromic

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't find spending a couple hundred thousand on long-haul premium cabin for a vacation once or twice a year all that difficult, and I'm usually buying two of those. They are flights that I wouldn't take as revenue anyways so it isn't like I'm sacrificing a revenue earning experience for the awards; it just is another trip.

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K, I have six SWUs to spend. That's three revenue RTs across the pond unless I want to let them go to waste. With some of my travel every year going to destinations that aren't SWUable, there is just limited time for additional trips. But if I end up not being a 1K next year, those revenue trips automatically become candidates for award travel. Will, of course, put status under greater pressure and I might drop from Plat to Gold, but we'll see...

stephenbgarvan likes this.