NC0 on layflats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kokonutz, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got a couple SWUs to burn by the end of March, but for the best weekend for me (the 25ish) I can't find a single R/T on layflats that isn't NC0.

I can find plenty on old style 777s and something in one direction, eg sfo-kix on layflats. But nothing in both directions on the new seats.

I understand they continue to hold these seats back because when I buy C seats, they're the ones I want. But many of these flights are nearly empty in C.

It's really frustrating! Any good routes out there for NC space on layflats?

2. They continue to hold these seats back because when I buy C seats, they're the ones I want.

kokonutz likes this.
  3. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your observation is correct. The same goes for award seats--you'll find award space more easily on the 777. Here's a couple of observations:

• Whatever the policies might be there is a simple mathematical fact: there are far less premium seats on the new configs, so even if all ratios were equal, it would be exected to see more upgrade space on the old configs. The 767 has especially few C seats.
    • Z availability is usually a good indication of your chances to get an upgrade. My experience as a 1K is that I always clear if I make reasonnable gambles.
    • You ask which routes have good availability--I think you may want to think in terms of dates. Mid-week sometimes has surprisingly good availability even on the new configs.
    • At the end of the day, a page is being turned and I expect to see less and less availability at booking time over time. It doesn't necesserally mean there will be less upgrades in the end. The waitlists are not FIFO anymore, so as a 1K you *might* be better off with the new system. By not offering immediate NC availability, UA basically gives GS and 1Ks the best chances to upgrade. With booking time NC, a non-status member can grab an upgrade anytime. But, nothing beats the safety of clearing at booking...

4. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in late January I was seeing a lot of midweek NC availability on SFO-NRT between mid-February and late March. It was usually SFO-NRT, rarely the reverse, so I booked NRT-LAX instead. Not sure if this is still the case or if it helps.

There is a LOT of NC on the old C routes such as NRT-SEA and NRT-LAX. NC9 right up to departure in some cases.

5. restlessinRNO
    Original Member

restlessinRNO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just booked SFO-ICN return, weekdays in the middle of March. There was NC9 multiple days, both directions. However I agree weekend days are a different matter.

Frequent Freak likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yep SFO-ICN has been pretty incredible for availability for several months, in C and in F, and I really assumed at first it was a glitch because it's operated by a 744 so the new seats for sure. And seeing NC9 and XC9 just struck me as bizarre. But excellent availability has persistent, albeit not quite what it was a few months ago when pretty much every day was that good.

7. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. I've identified ICN as an easy upgrade on the way to Asia. From there one can book a cheap inta-Asia award on OZ or other airlines. Unfortunately W fares have been very expensive this year, it's ~$1,200 for ICN [​IMG].

8. If they are really that empty in C why not just waitlist for the upgrade and take your chances?

9. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked ORD-BRU-ORD for next weekend and got NC both ways on the 767 lie flats confirmed at booking. Score!

10. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you were looking for new UA C and settled for EI C? Why?

I would have just connected in Europe. More miles and you get the proper lie flats. Or just gone to FCO/FRA/ZRH instead. :)

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found NC space on the 744 for mid-week in mid-March when booking in early February.