NC on a two cabin flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at a flight I am taking later in the week on a regular domestic 757. I know they sometimes sell C-bucket seats for connecting purposes though I noticed that it lists both NC and XC at 1 while NF and XF are zeroed out. My question is will NC1 result in a UDU upgrade if it is still available at the window and NF is at zero? When would you ever use NC on a route like this if not?

2. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in a similar situation a while ago (NC showing availability, NF zeroed out and plane was really 2-cabin) and was within my upgrade window. I figured that I would be able to get upgraded. When I purchased the ticket, I noticed that the upgrades didn't clear.

When I called the 1K desk, I was told that to get upgrades, they had to have NF availability and the C/NC/XC were only used if you were connecting with a real 3-cabin flight.

AZjohn and adambadam like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's correct, UDU will not upgrade into NC on a 2-cabin flight. UDU will upgrade into NC on a 3-cabin flight.

But to be sure, NC is not just for 3-cabin flights. You could use miles or other upgrade instruments to upgrade into NC. And if you were booking an award, you could book XC (and in fact for airlines that treat XF as true first class, XC makes that award less expensive, eg Aeroplan, bmi).

jupper, AZjohn and RichardInSF like this.
  4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen something along the lines of what gleff says occasionally as well.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the NC 1 and NF 0 example would work when connecting to an international flight where you have a domestic segment in a 2 class cabin plane (e.g. UA 757) and then an international segment in NC?

6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting and always thought EF web site was just screwed up on saying there was NC and NF on a two class jet.
    Just goes to show I am always learning something new from you all ;)
    Cheers,
    John

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes because a Systemwide (or mileage) upgrade will clear into NC. UDU will not.

chitownflyer likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if a flight only has NC, UDU will "happen" at the Gate if it's a domestic flight?

9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh that happened to me once on a IAD-LAX flight that was a 757... I believe it was a through from Frankfurt or something...so we all got upgraded at the Gate I was wondering why there was 86 Elites awaiting for 24 Seats and I was # 23 whew...