National vs Avis (Rates)

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Morgan, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've got small business discounts with both Avis and National. Avis was apparently more aggressive in setting up our accounts, as their rates are invariably significantly lower than those National offers.

I'd love to take a spin down the Emerald Aisle, however, and see what things are like on the other side. I assume I'm just missing something with regards to rates, though, because if National were always $20 more per day than Avis, they wouldn't be in business.

For the record, the Avis rates our company gets are generally about in line with the deals offered to Costco members--nice, but nothing earth-shattering.

Any thoughts? What am I missing?

2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered just sending whoever you worked with at National to set up your rates the rates that Avis gave you and asking them to match? That would seem like the easiest thing to me and if the discounts aren't that deep, I would imagine they'll match.

3. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I call the "special phone number" we received upon signing up for the program, I get a message saying that it isn't in service any longer. (No joke.) Not sure who to talk to.

I'm not trying to sound helpless or anything... in reality I just haven't had time to track down a solution. Was wondering if National offers a widely-available discount program (a la Avis' partnership with Costco) that would mimic what might be offered through a corporate program.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does your corporate rate include?

We've got deals with National and Avis, and I usually find National to offer a better rate. National tosses in LDW/CDW with the rate. (I can use the National rate for personal rentals, too). Our National rate is in line, and maybe slightly better than, the rate I can get for weekly personal rentals with Hertz through USAA (which is about the best I found outside of our company), but the USAA rate does not include LDW/CDW. I have not seen any other widely-available discount program that comes close to our large corporate rate.

5. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great! If you don't mind my asking, did you sign up through their Business Benefits Program online, or did your company setup the discount via some other route?

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Corporate negotiated contract. We have 75,000 employees.....

7. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    That'll do it. [​IMG]

8. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a point of reference as to what they'll do for a lot of business. I won't post the actual rate here.