National Grassroots Campaign Launches to Improve Airport Security

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by AmericanGirl, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.traveljam.com/article54037.html

The U.S. Travel Association is launching a national grassroots campaign to urge Congress to implement a trusted traveler program. Eighty percent of travelers surveyed say there should be a nationwide trusted traveler program that provides alternative screening measures at airports for American citizens who submit to background checks and meet other criteria.

Travelers would take an average of two to three more trips a year if the hassle could be reduced without compromising security effectiveness. These additional trips could add $84.6 billion in spending and 888,000 more jobs.

The "Be Trusted" campaign is a national grassroots campaign advocating Congressional implementation of a trusted traveler program. The campaign will include advertisements in newspapers and airports, social media, events at airports, an advocacy website and toll-free number to connect travelers directly with members of Congress, and an online petition.

2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I look forward to participating in such a program. Since fewer threats means less need for the TSA, I am thrilled to know that I will be helping save the government money. Naturally, I would not expect to pay any sort of charge for said program. In fact, maybe the feds should give me a refund of the security fees.

Mike

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not me and for several reasons......Who will run the program? The federal government? I "can't wait" ;) for them to screw up yet another free lunch problems to be found with the database (i.e. it gets compromised or was not properly implemented :rolleyes:) and there is n-f-w I will pay a fee for this service as imho, it should be free to all who can meet the criteria. But then again, that's just me ;) :)

4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, I was being sarcastic. Just wanted to get in a shot about how I'm sure they will try and charge for the program.

Mike

goalie likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me it sounds simply like NEXUS but only for domestic USA.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my guess as well.

7. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that is the case, the program won't do any good, since none of the TSOs will be able to recognize the trusted traveler card as acceptable ID.

Mike