National, Alamo and Enterprise.... (???)

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Gaucho, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these three somehow related...?

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are all owned by the same company if that's what you mean by related. Loyalty-wise they aren't related as much. There is some reward crossover between Enterprise and National.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enterprise rentals can be credited to National but there is no loyalty crossover for Alamo AFAIK. For daily use as FF types National seems usually the choice for people like us. Enterprise does have some great exotic cars, though, on cheaper terms than are most of them, so the national credit is nice.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    So now that I have status through MP, how does that help with rentals?

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your status is with National only. You have to register for the Emerald Club with National, if you haven't done so already. You then enter your membership number in your Milepoint award store to get upgraded to executive status.

Executive status lets you pay for a midsize car but you get your pick of any car in a particular area, (where available), usually newer full-size cars or better. You also can redeem Emerald club free-day rewards at a slightly accelerated pace.

6. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks...I already did both of those...hoping to use this particular one in November if it posts.

Gaucho, jbcarioca and bigx0 like this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't speak for Milepoint but I will say they and National were quite responsive last time around

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for the great information....

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow up questions.... with the upgrade in status that the MP premium membership offers, does National give you the skip the counter and go directly to your car option that is similar to what Hertz Gold offers..? If so, to activate this you will have to do a first rental where they verify your ID and drivers license, correct...??

Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    National is very different. Their system is called the Emerald Aisle. With your shiny new Executive status you simply reserve a mid-size car, regardless of what you want. Then when you arrive follow the signs to Executive Emerald Aisle, choose any car you care to, drive it to the exit and show your driving license and credit card. That's it. There is a thread here called something like "share your Emerald Aisle experiences". If nobody posts the link before I return to my office, I'll do so. IME there are invariably huge, mostly GM, vehicles such as Tahoe in the Aisle. an associate if mine who 's a fan of such giants, has had 100% success finding one all over the US, he tells me. I believe him because every single time I've been in an Aisle there have been several of those.

In locations without an aisle, or if you've specific preferences, the staff IME have cooperated. I did not care fir choices at CMH a few months ago, and was dropping off at ORD. I was offered my choice of several non-typical choices but chose a new Chrysler 300C with GPS, parking sensors F&R, Sirius etc. expensive at $32.99 with unlimited mileage, wasn't it?

When you enter your data at National the default rate is that of MilePoint, the fount if our status. You can manually enter whatever corporate or other discount code you have. I use my clients corporate code. Keep in mind that you also will get free rental days if you opt for that instead of points. You'll still pay the taxes and surcharges, so the 'free' days actually are 'free' from the daily basic rate only.

Have fun!

servo, Gaucho and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds Great.... thanks !!!!

servo and jbcarioca like this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you will have to go to the counter once, though you in some locations that may mean a kiosk or at least a dedicated Emerald club priority queue. But after that one time, that's it. As long as your airport has Emerald Aisle service you pick a car and go.

Often I'm not thrilled about the selection at the Executive Aisle and will opt for a vehicle in the regular (non executive) Emerald Aisle. That's fine to do.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:

That is a good point that I forgot. Also, in some very large locations, ORD is one, as an Executive or above you can go to the service counter and ask for a better choice than you see outside. Specifically at ORD I have done that several times with complete success. You are limited, usually, to big US-style cars. They do not have vehicle that appeal to higher quality, smaller types. For that Sixt is my choice but they're just setting up in the US and have only a handful of locations so far.

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with jbcarioca's preference on cars.. although when Im in the US, I tend to favour the big US style cars as I have quite a big of baggage with me... so maybe this Emerald Aisle thing will be better than I think for my US car rental needs........ look forward to trying it out next time Im in the States... will come back to report how things go.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    thinking about your requirements I spoke with my colleague yesterday regarding his family travel experiences. He has two children, one of each species, three year old twins. He says he still us at 100% for Emerald Aisle GM Tahoe an equivalent this year, with 32 rentals so far all over the US. Of course he's now Executive Elite.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    species ??!!!;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Soooo...one that behaves and one that doesn't?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lessee, it is no longer politically correct to say sex. I refuse to say gender because that us a perfectly fine linguistic word which is not sex. Thus I needed some new less personally challenging word to describe siblings who gestated together but were the product of different eggs, and by definition could not have been identical.

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    as it happens, also partly true, which explains why they want a Tahoe with only a pair if quite small tykes.