Nassau Bahamas

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by titleistmatt, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Anyone been to Nassau Bahamas lately? We are headed next week, any dining/bar/beach/activity suggestions for 8 people in their late 20's?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you like seafood, for sure go to Fish Fry. Just grab a taxi or bus, or ask any local how to get there. it's a bit of a hike to walk from town. Also ask the locals about their favorites among the various eateries (hesitate to call them restaurants, lol!) there - although I have tried half a dozen different ones and each has its own appeal. It may look like a collection of run down shacks. But the food is awesome. Especially if you like local, authentic Bahamian eats...

Cheers,

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Went last summer, with my wife. Stayed at Atlantis. Fish fry is worth the trip, we ate at Brothers or Two Brothers or something like that, it was pretty good, the best deal (fish fry is a collection of fish frying places .... nicer than shacks, but authentic) was a place that was last one on the left row when you faced the fish fry from the street, cold cheap beer and cheap tasty conch fritters, we would have been better off just staying there.

I'll also mention Senor Frog's looked like it could have been fun, when cruise ships are in .... but when we were there they had some plumbing issues that kept us away. If you are staying at a hotel, just remember, downtown Nassau relies to cruise ships to stay busy, so if you want to party with people, go middle of the day, if you want deals, come at night (but be careful you stay close to the tourist areas.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Senor Frog's is like Carlos & Charlie's in Aruba... a blast when the cruise ships are in town, but not worthwhile otherwise. At least that has been my experience.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    although some shacks are nicer than others !! The fish fry is not for everyone, picture communal seating area for the shacks for starters. We love it but some folks we've taken there have not been as smitten as we are with the experience. We walk to the fish fry from the Hilton Nassau where we normally stay.

Two 'upscale' restaurants we've enjoyed is Graycliff restaurant in the Graycliff Hotel, they make decent cigars as well. Also Sun and.... (that's the name).

For cheaper eats, we enjoyed Conch Fritters, decent jerk chicken as well as raw conch w/a touch of chili sauce, delicous.

6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Headed to Atlantis in January, with my iPhone 4S. I take it that I should not use the microSIM that comes with the phone, as VZW will charge $1.99/min voice and $.50 to send a txt, $.05 to receive a txt.

Quick research shows BTC "Cybercell" is what I should get... I assume I can pick this up at NAS upon arrival? Anyone have other suggestions?

Don't plan on using the phone heavily at all... I'll mainly use corp VOIP or Skype once connected to the Internet. But just for "emergencies" and possibly a call or two to my grandparents, my father (coming on our trip) will want to have a cell phone available.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    did you go on your trip? thoughts?

8. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    We decided not to get a new Bahamian SIM. We'll just use the hotel # / my cell phone (roaming) for "emergency" incoming calls, and use VOIP for outgoing.

For fish only (no conch) and chicken, which would be the best place to go for dinner: Fish Fry (the "Brothers" place? or somewhere else?), or Conch Fritters? We're going to venture 'off-campus' (Atlantis) only once.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't find the atomosphere of the Fish Fry easy to replicate, so my first impulse is to say Fish Shack, that said, I don't ever recall seeing chicken at the Fish Fry (as the name suggests, fish fry is about seafood).

by the 'no conch' I'm assuming someone dislikes it? (or is it a queasy or allergic thing) If the former, I'd urge you to try it.

10. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I guess we'll head to Fish Fry and if there is nothing for my wife to eat (she doesn't eat fish) and/or if my 2yo doesn't like the fish (he hasn't liked fish so far), we'll head someplace else afterwards for something else :)

It's a kosher thing... no shellfish. At least not when my parents are around :p

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good for you, you are more pious than my Jewish buds who I regularly dine with or compare BBQ pork rib notes with:D

Whatever you decide, I'd urge you to go for at least drinks at Greycliff.

dmel likes this.