NASA drop test @ 7:30AM PST (Tomorrow 7/23/13)

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by Shedbasher, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Shedbasher

Shedbasher Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone,

I currently work on the parachute system for NASA that will be used on the "Orion" capsule that is currently be looked at being used to pull in an asteroid among other things sometime in the not so distant future..... Tomorrow (7/23) at 7:30 AM PST NASA/Google will be broadcasting the drop test live from Yuma Proving Grounds. Below is the link (sorry copy and paste) that will get you to both the Google hangout and to NASA tv.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-invites-media-public-hangout-live-orion-parachute-182500111.html

Just wanted to share to the community if you did not hear about this.

Some details of the drop:

Extracted Payload - 32,000+ lbs
    Aircraft Velocity - 185+ Knots
    Aircraft Altitude - 35,000 ft
    One main parachute is scheduled to be cut away during the descent to simulate a miss firing of the parachute release system (normally would release once capsule landed safely in the water).

Gargoyle and kellio like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    :cool: Thanks. Any video online of the actual drop?

3. Shedbasher

Shedbasher Silver Member

Status Points:

Here is a link to the only video I can find online of the drop currently. I hope that since it was televised the video will be released to the public and I can post it online. Thankfully the weather was as perfect as it could be for the drop. Our backup day (Thursday) it rained for the majority of the day in which we would not have been able to drop for a couple of months down the road.

You can still see the google+ hangout which had some sound issues but for anyone interested....

https://plus.google.com/events/c8o3eh2udaosuknsrd8cj8s0l7c

Gargoyle likes this.