Naming Airports After People: Why?!?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jan 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

“Shouldn’t airport shorten their names?” is a question asked by FlyerTalk member Box5 — and my initial answer is yes, as I have found it somewhat absurd to name an airport after a person and never really understood the purpose of naming airports after people. Washington National Airport was named after Ronald Reagan in 1998 to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport — supposedly against the wishes of officials of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority officials and political leaders in the region. The cost alone to renaming the Washington National Airport Metro stop to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport station reportedly approximately $400,000.00, according to this article by John Hendel for TBD. I opposed the name simply because the airport was already named after a president: George Washington. Remember him?!? “At Reagan National, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which also oversees Dulles International Airport, spent about $29,000 to add the former president’s name”, according to... The post Naming Airports After People: Why?!? appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...