Name the best and not so best country(ies) you have visited

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by soley2003, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Whats The Best County you visit and whats the most bad country you visit
    I am from Egypt but I visited more countries in europ,asia and africia
    The best country i visit (Thailaind ) because i feel that this country for fun ONLY not for bussnies so its good choice for your hollidays
    I like london too but I dont like london night
    I didnot like Turkey country ,i dont know why but i didnot feel it.
    I love my country Egypt too ;)
    Lets share our opnions Here about countries moments and notes

2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to China twice and have enjoyed wandering around exploring the back streets of Beijing as well as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. In Shanghai the inner city is very modern then you can go further away and enjoy markets and street stalls there. Your country is on my list, and I hope all is well there as I will be coming one day for sure :)

:)I only have had one really bad experience travelling to date and that was getting off a MRT station in Singapore and trying to walk to the big eye viewing platform. There was a maze of roads that was a construction site for the Marina Towers and I not only couldn't I find my way back to the MRT, but the only way out was walking over a bridge with a freeway with about 2 foot of space to get to where the Eye was. Quite some time without water and hot sun. I did find a 5 star hotel with a cafe near there and got back to reality fast.

I didn't do the research and can only blame myself, I have always had fun in Singapore before and after this happened. Oh the icing on the cake, the Eye was opening later that morning so I decided not to wait around :D

sobore, jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd also like to get to Egypt and, well, Africa in general, though it might be proper to separate the north from the remainder of the continent for obvious cultural norms etc. I've lived in SE Asia for almost 4 years and have enjoyed all the dozen or so countries I've been in, most several times at the minimum. I've greatly enjoyed the back areas of Beijing, Chengdu and Xian. It's not on many people's to go to list, but I've great times, and great food, in S Korea. I've only been in Indonesia from Bali to Komodo and half way through Flores, incredible. I've covered all but 2 provinces in Laos, more than half the provinces in Thailand, a smattering of Malaysia etc.

The place that really drove me crazy was India. The first trip with a friend was up in the northern area of Maharashtra (Mumbai) and then to Rajastan. But got hassled with travel leaving Agra and it left a bad taste. A year later I took a southern trip, again a month, but solo. Tamil Nadu, most of my time in Karnataka and Andra Pradesh (Hyderabad) in order to get to Chennai. Most of the time was very interesting, but the hassles were quite annoying. I don't quite understand the love that people hold for India, but I'm compelled to go back and try again.

sobore and savydog like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I've ever been to a country I didn't like, although I could do without places like downtown Detroit (even though I stayed in what was a good hotel in the Ren Cen, which was a treat for me then), downtown Dallas (nothing after they roll up the sidewalks at the end of the day), downtown Atlanta (crime problems and nothing much of interest, few of the good restaurants are downtown), and Anaheim.

I've always had a good time too in South Korea and despite the language and alphabet, it's an easy place to visit. Plus, the toilets are spotlessly clean (better than Japan), even in rest stops along the highway.

I love Turkey but I liked it better before it became fashionable with European tourists. It was less crowded and cheaper ten or twenty years ago.

savydog likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm one of those crazy people who loves India! :D

Honestly part of the reason I enjoyed it was the exact reason you seemed to struggle with it. All the gamesmanship of the tuk tuk drivers and street vendors made it lively and challenging for me. I actually enjoyed trying to figure out if I had negotiated a good deal for my trip or if I was being taken for ride (literally and figuratively). For me India is all things at once - it's dirty and pristine, it's beautiful and ugly, it's modern and ancient, it's extravagent and understated. You can probably say that description fits a lot of places, but India was so full of life in my eyes that it really captivated me and I've been plotting ways to go back ever since I left. I could actually go back whenever I wanted really, but my wanderlust just keeps telling me I should try a few new places before heading back!

Out of all the places I've been, I was really underwhelmed with Greece. We struggled with navigating because everywhere we went there was someone (a taxi driver, a security guard, a random person on the street) telling us that we should go to a nice shopping mall nearby instead, because "that's what you Americans really want, right?" We even had a cab driver pick us up and drop us off on the complete other side of town from where we wanted to go without telling us. When we got out of the cab and tried to orient ourselves he let us know he had taken us to a nice shopping area because we wouldn't have enjoyed the ruins we had asked for anyway. Maybe we just struggled with Athens, because once we left and headed further afield and to the islands, we started to enjoy Greece much more. Given the chance, I'd still return though! ;)

kwai, savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have enjoyed every country I have ever been. Living in Yemen was a huge challenge; doing anything in Nigeria was difficult; the Sudan is another. I can list a couple fo dozen very difficult places i have lived or worked and i still enjoyed them all. that includes four countries that were in civil war while i was there.

The easiest country IMO is Singapore; I like it very much but it is quite antiseptic for my tastes. (A Swiss engineer working on sewage plants once told me he'd eat food prepared on the floor of a Singapore sewage treatment plant.) I suppose I prefer a bit of disarray.

Working in Egypt has been hard, but the Egyptian people always made up for that, regardless of their specific religious or cultural background.

In the end, after being in roughly 185 countries (my nephew claims to ahve counted 187 in my passports) I cannot say i have learned new things and enjoyed the experience in every single palce I have been. Now i want to see the rest of the world and find out if that continues to be true.

kiwi, kwai and savydog like this.
  7. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    The taxi drivers outside the summer palace were outrageous. We offered to pay a fair price to our hotel and a few said no and stated a higher price. In the end we went back and offered to pay the higher price, but they said no because we had said no the first time :mad:

As there was a stream of buses arriving and departing, we showed a local the Chinese word for Tiananmen Square, (which I had printed out in large font before the trip), and they pointed us to the correct bus. Cost next to nothing and we ended up hopping off when we saw a subway stop and had a direct line to where our hotel was.

8. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    To answer the OP's question literally, I'd say Summit, Colorado, or perhaps Teton, Wyoming.

DestinationDavid and savydog like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say Sonoma, California.

savydog and Frequent Freak like this.
  10. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved visiting Egypt, Cambodia, Turkey, Peru, and China. My favorite country to live in was Italy. I can't think of any of the countries that I have visited that I really didn't like, but I was robbed in Costa Rica which did put a damper on the trip; that being said, the beach at Manuel Antonio was fabulous!

ETA: I forgot India in the love category. We had a small car and a driver, and he drove us from Delhi to Agra and then to Rathambore and back to Delhi. Although the driving was scary, I loved it. The crazy combination of trucks, cars, motorbikes with whole families onboard, Ford tractors being used to transport large groups of people, camel carts, wandering cows, etc. was just fascinating. We drove through cities and the countryside, and I loved it all. I would go back in a heartbeat!

kwai and savydog like this.
  11. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best place: I was in Belgrade, Serbia last spring. Intimidating with the language barrier at first (reading signs of course) but people were eager to talk since not too many Westerns make plans to visit there. Something really memorable was walking some 20km roundtrip to Zemun along the river. Later that night I took a beer somewhere, can't remember but I could hear the euro music from the outside so I knew it was the place to be. When I walked in guys and girls were sizing me up and I was looking at them sizing them up. Someone near the bar sent over a waitress and I went to thank the guy for doing. People found out I was from Chicago (at the time) and that brought instant friendship with everyone. Lots of Serbs in Chicago. It was really great to talk with a lot of different people. Everyone had really unique questions about life, ambitions, curiosities, and I could see that although many were not used to interacting with foreign visitors, most really made an effort to communicate.