Name that (carrot) funk

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mrredskin, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    current HNL lounge offering

20140515_175021.jpg

Newscience likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nasty looking... I don't get why people would subject themselves to that kind of food in the UA Lounges. :eek:

Newscience likes this.
  3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could have gone to AA/JAL lounge but had never tried this one and Turkish gold expiring in a month. I'll use the AA from now on if possible. Plus they have a bidet :)

Newscience likes this.
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tricky thing with the AA/JAL lounge is they only have "food" right before the JAL flight goes. Once that goes, it's back to UA-like snacks.

Newscience likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, all the complaining about UC. Most of those who have paid for membership know exactly how bad they are, food, over crowding, paying for drinks, and in some cases it looks like a day care center but they still buy the membership, so all the compaining they do about the clubs is bogus as far as I am concered, you knew what they were like, but you still paid for membership. Those that received a complementary entrance due to our status have no right to complain, it cost us nothing. The only ones that may have the right to complain are those that have not been into a club and have purchased a one time entry for $50.00, now thats a total rip off and they have a right to complain for receiving almost absolutely nothing of real value for their money. Who in there right mind would pay to join the United Clubs?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least with a bidet you can rinse off explosive diahrrea from eating bad food.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing other than xx thousand miles in the air and xx thousand dollars to pay for those tickets. It cost me quite a bit in recent years. Or do you think the airlines don't work the cost of providing those "complementary" [sic] status benefits into their ticket prices?

Then again, if you look at the situation in most lounges in the US, you might be forgiven if you thought the money to operate them came out of the pockets of the CEO.

mrredskin and sfo1 like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tweet the pic to @United ?

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing is free in this world of ours, but when I look at the total charges, taxes etc there is no mention of some sort of fee than has been paid for access to the lounge. It would have to be included in the base fare, which I doubt they do. I for one have never ever paid more than my airfare ticket to UA, I don't purchase anything from them except the ticket, no food from buy on board, no Direct TV, no checked luggage, no drinks even though I have the chits, nothing, nada.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess then I also got free access to the UC thanks to the Chase Club Visa?

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get access to the UC through my Business Chase UC Visa account, but at $395/year, it is far from "free." In my case, it is worth it, as I earn about 500,000 miles/year with that card, and growing. I use most of them, too. So I would keep the card even without the UC, but I do like being able to check in and get a good internet connection before departure, upon arrival and more importantly, during connections (that are often quite long as I wait for my UAX flight to finally depart).

The "food" they serve at the UC is not a bit competitive. When I flew AA, their clubs at least offered food for purchase. Copa Clubs often do the same, and AV either sells or gives away food that is quite tasty.

So sorry SFO1, but count me among the complainers. I often have to choose between eating and doing business, as there is nothing in the UC that is on my low carb diet. One can only eat so much packaged cheese. And with all the UAX travel I'm funneled onto these days, there is nothing for me to eat on the plane, either. It's difficult enough to make a mainline F meal work.

mrredskin and sfo1 like this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But what about buying a membership for a year into one the private lounges at the airport/s which might be nicer and have some decent food and of course would not be as crowded as the UC, it might be a better investment.

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might be a good additional investment, but the 1.5 miles/dollar earned on the UC card (2x1 for UA purchases) makes those miles worth the price of the card for me. The UC is just a bonus.

Because I own and manage my own business, I'm able to accumulate those large RDM numbers. That certainly wouldn't be the case for everyone, but the card pays for itself every month for me.

sfo1 likes this.
  14. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree with lack of low carb options. lack of gluten free too. hell, can't even eat the carrots now!

KenInEscazu likes this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really expect them to cater to a low carb diet, either in the UC or on the plane, but it is quite obvious that they are trying to fill us up on cheap carbs. Not that cheap vs. expensive carbs are distinguishable to my diet, but UA is cutting corners all over the place. It would be nice to see them at least choose something to lead in besides their declining FF program alone, and those who once used it to fly partners often say they no longer do that.

Obviously UA still works for me, but it's more of a forced fit than a comfortable one. I left AA in 2009 for some very valid reasons, and even with all of their changes, I still get a small bit of pleasure out of each additional year that I avoid spending a dime there. They are my only other serious option, and I have given them some serious thought. Their clubs are a lot nicer. Nice enough that I would pay for them, unlike the UC. The scale just hasn't tipped yet for me. Even with the carb-filled clubs complete with "Carrot Funk!" Oh how I wish that was the least of my complaints. :D

mrredskin likes this.