Name on booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Muerz, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerz

Muerz Active Member

Status Points:
    My mom booked a reward ticket and I think she might have made a mistake:

Let's say my mom was called Adrian (First Name) Pennino (Middle Name) Balboa (Last Name).

The passport she uses says:
    - Last Name: Balboa
    - Given names: Adrian Pennino

Now during booking on UA.com, she did the following:
    - Last Name: Balboa
    - First Name: Adrian
    - Middle Name: Pennino

Now the ticket says: Booked for Mrs. BALBOA Adrian

I was under the impression that (new?) rules for US-bound flights dictate that each first name appearing in the passport would need to appear on the ticket, in my moms case: Booked for Mrs. BALBOA Adrian Pennino.

Usually when I do the arrangements, I make sure to book the ticket like in the latter example. This is why I'm now asking if the way she booked the ticket will cause problems at check-in.

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, won't be a problem. My boarding pass always just shows MR. LAST FIRSTM and nobody has ever blinked an eye at it on international trips, in the US or Europe/Asia. In fact, I'm surprised it doesn't show as MRS. BALBOA ADRIANP...

3. Muerz

Muerz Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply! So why do they always say that all names appearing on your travel document have to be on the ticket as well if they do not inforce the rules (or don't have the IT necessary to do it? Examples might be double names connected by a "-" or "é,ä,...)?

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The data is actually stored (full name with middle) in the barcode on the BP. This all has to do with TSA Secure Flight I believe.

At some point (I think they are testing machines at IAD but I've never seen them) when they scan the BP it will show the full name (with middlename) as well as DOB, gender, etc to compare with the ID such as your passport.

So what's actually printed on the BP is (at least how UA does it generally on the BP LastnameSuffix, FirstnameMiddleinitialMR)

5. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here is MY current problem. My name is Para Keetiepie (okay, that's not really my name but I wanted to give an example that this name doesn't really occur ANYWHERE ELSE)

For United, my name has been correct for the past 30+ years, I have mostly only flown united, compared to the new world which is continental now. :-(

For some totally unknown reason to me, Continental added a C. to my middle name (I don't HAVE A middle name) I contacted them about this last year, saying why the heck did you merge my United Mileage Plus account with 2MM miles and 1.25M seat miles and 500K international flights and use the errorneous C from my continental account (which I honestly had NOT used in two decades)

Now it stands, I have an international flight on United. My passport of course simply says Para Keetipie. No C.

How much is that going to mess me up when trying to travel internationally now for the first time? Who/How can fix this?

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would absolutely get it fixed and they should fix it themselves at no cost.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I don't think being one letter off will cause many issues. It shouldn't cause problems with TSA/security. As for the ticket/passport mismatch, it may depend on the country you're coming from and going to. Being one letter off shouldn't cause any serious problems.

If you can get the ticket fixed, do so. But if not, I wouldn't stress out about it too much.