Name change

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by loudnotes, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the process of booking an awesome OW award to Europe and Africa for my honeymoon, found all the flights I want, dates look great, and I managed to avoid the dreaded BA YQ by flying through other European hubs. The itinerary is currently on hold. Only problem is that on the very first call, the agent mistyped my fiancee's first name (omitting one letter).

Subsequent agents have said that it's impossible to change her name without there being additional award availability on every flight. That is, they can't just change the name in their systems, and they can't just swap out ludnotes' seat to give to loudnotes - there has to be a new seat available or they can't do it. In practice, this means they can't make the change (or maybe just aren't willing to go to all the trouble?).

I've been told they can leave a memo for their partners and that when tickets are actually issued they should have the correct spelling. Is this enough to go by? Before ticketing the award, I'm wondering if I need to insist that they go through and try to redo the entire reservation. I've read in the other forum that a single letter misspelling has not been a problem for travel, with notable exceptions in more authoritarian countries. Should I be worried about getting stranded in Nairobi because of a problem that really should be fixable prior to ticketing? Any advice would be appreciated!

zpaul, Kung Pao and Gargoyle like this.
  2. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone was curious, I followed the memo procedure described above and went ahead and ticketed the award. Currently the correct spelling is showing up on AA.com and phone agents said it's fixed, so hopefully that means there won't be any problems.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Normally a single letter wrong shouldn't cause any problems. Delta has a glitch in their computers where they take a middle initial and shove it against a first name, creating a new first name for me, and I've had codeshare partners comment on it; I just explain briefly and they accept it. Security has never had an issue with this, TSA or international.