Name change to Dividend Miles profile/account-problem?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Aug 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently moved to a different state, and whereas my old driver's license had just my middle initial, my new one has my full middle name. I just updated my Dividend Miles account information to reflect my full middle name, so that my name appears on tickets exactly how it is on my ID...but then it occurred to me that I should check that this wouldn't cause any problems.

I know it's a minor change, but the last thing I need is US Airways thinking me with a full middle name is a different person than me with just a middle initial, and not letting miles earned on tickets booked with the full middle name credit the account that was started with just the middle initial, etc...maybe that's paranoid, but just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone had knowledge of this or had done this before! Thanks!

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your name on the ticket has to match your name on the account for the upgrade sweeps to process you. If not, then you get an email saying your upgrade could not be processed; not the usual "upgrade not available" one but it actually says something like "names did not match" or along those lines. While you still have outstanding reservations in the old name, you may have to switch back to the old name on the account to let the upgrades work. Once there's no more tickets in the old name, then the new name goes back on the account. But there shouldn't be a question as to validity of the traveler being you. I've had to change back and forth between middle name and middle initial on the account a few times in the last year or so because our corporate travel desk is a bag of sadness, and I've never been questioned that anything funny is going on with the actual account.

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I only have one outstanding reservation with the old "middle initial only" instead of my new full middle name...but that flight is on a CRJ, so no upgrades to worry about there--but for that reservation, I'm more concerned about my status still being recognized (I may have to check a bag and want it to be free!) and having the miles post to my account. In your experience, can I anticipate a problem with status/miles if my ticket still has middle initial but the account has full middle name?

4. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had tickets with just first/last name, first/middle initial/last, and first/middle name/last and none have ever encountered any issues linking to my account.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problems with status being recognized!

desert_gecko likes this.