Naadam, Ulaanbaatar and Monglia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by thegrailer, May 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mongolia has always been on the I have to get there list (no buckets for me) so one of my pre-UA devaluation mileage burns was for a trip to Mongolia. The dates just worked out so that I would be in ULN for part of Naadam (horseback, archery, and wrestling - had to look it up too ;)). However, I can't find much about where to stay - the guide books are not all that helpful - or what is feasible with 2 nights for Naadam and 3 nights for??? (only time I could get off from work). Has anyone either been to the Naadam Festival or traveled through Mongolia? Thoughts? Suggestions? The Genghis Kahn statue looks neat - close to ULN. Hunting with eagles in the western part of the country would be amazing to see (doable in my time frame?) Visits to the old monasteries? I am all ears.

Thanks

Cheers

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely go to a ger (yurt) camp for a night or two. Erdene Zhu is the historic site of the most interest. There is also a national park devoted to the teki (wild horse)

thegrailer, MX and uggboy like this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recommend you try to book a hotel immediately

there is a new Best Western Premier directly in the center that I would prefer, there is a Ramada and a Kempinski that are off center and decent

thegrailer, uggboy and MX like this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

I am looking at the local hotels rather than a chain (time to be daring). And yes, time is of the essence as some places are filling up. That being said, I've considered seeing Naadam in a city other than ULN and spending more time outside of the city. I don't arrive in time for the opening ceremony so I am thinking the sports might be more interesting in a different city. Thoughts?

Erdene Zhu is on the list of places to go to ;). Question on that, travel time according to many websites is up to 7 hours. Really? It is only 200+ miles away (???) Is the wild horse park close to Karkhorin and Erdene Zhu monastary? With only 5 nights, I am having a hard time narrowing down what I want to see

5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Erdene is a sleepy town on the edge of the steppe where roads are few and they might not be passable if it rains, most people take a flight there and it is pricey, there is not much happening outside UB

if you." rough it " in Mongolia, you will find it quite rough, hope you like horse steak

everything will be booked in UB shortly

Last edited: May 9, 2014