N00b question: multi-passenger trip cost exceeds cert?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by viguera, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been years since I actually tried to use a voucher online... last time I was bumped I just walked out and went to the ticket counter, then walked back through security... :)

So stupid question... a friend of mine actually gave me a $400 voucher for Delta from back in December -- apparently she's convinced she's not going to use it -- and I have a few questions...

1) I assume I can use this with no problems, the system let me enter the cert information online and didn't complaint.

2) It seems when you book online you can only apply the cert to a passenger, not to the itinerary itself. So while the cert would cover one full ticket and leave a balance, that balance can't be used for the second passenger?

3) it seems that my only option is to buy two separate trips? I assume I can book one passenger with the cert, and that I will get another cert (issued immediately online?) for the balance, which I can then use to book another trip for the other passenger?

Am I going about this the right way? Or should I just bite the bullet and book one itinerary with both passengers and pay cash for the second ticket?

Thanks

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should start by considering whether the two passengers need to be on the same PNR. If one is a child, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise, it may not matter to you. A single PNR keeps the passengers together when IROPs happen. It affects companion upgrades. There's a chance if might affect whether DL tries to charge an unaccompanied minor fee for a child, but I think this is unlikely if an adult is clearly travelling with the child.

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your friend is awesome, I want friends like that!

In the past I have never had an issue applying a certificate to a single reservation although I haven't tried it since May 2009. Recently I have been booking separate reservations and using certificates for my tix (to earn miles) and miles for my SO. May 2009 I used a $1000 certificate from an international VDB for 2 tickets on the same reservation. It may have changed since then, but I waited until the end of the reservation to apply the funds. So, pick your flights for 2 and go all the way through to "Review and Purchase." This is the screen where you enter all the passanger info and CC info. At the very bottom, below the CCs, there is a button to apply certificates. Click that and it should let you enter the certif number and apply the total amount to your reservation.

Hopefully it still works! Good luck!

Italy98 likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did the same for them before -- voluntary bump on our way to Vegas and got them free tickets to Miami -- so I think they're repaying the favor. :)

I tried it and it didn't... I spoke with a Delta CSR and they tell me you're no longer allowed to do that. When you enter the cert, it gets applied to one passenger. Then after you complete the res you get a new cert # which has the balance, plus all the information from the old cert -- I suppose for record keeping.

I just bit the bullet and did two separate bookings, and I'll call Delta later and see if we can get them merged.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot have PNRs combined although you can have them "linked" which seems to mean that remarks are added in some comment fields attached to the reservations. This is better than nothing, but agents don't necessarily look for the comments, so you probably have to remind them if IROPs happen, etc. It's better than nothing but not nearly the same as having the passengers on the same PNR.

6. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not had good luck with linked PNRs so make sure you keep up on any changes that happen.