N-Number lookup tool now available

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking to fill in details on your OpenFlights, FlightMemory or other flight history site? Just want to know what the N-number was for a given flight one day? You're in luck!

The US DoT's BTS compiles the data but searching against their version is very cumbersome. I've eased the process significantly. Put in a date and city pair:
    [​IMG]

...and you'll get awesome results:
    [​IMG]

Data is limited to 1995 onward and the most recent is currently February 2014; I'll update it regularly as BTS updates their site, but they don't publish for a couple months after the flights actually happen.

Full details on the blog: http://blog.wandr.me/2014/06/avgeek-aircraft-n-number-tracking/
    Access the tool on my site: http://wandr.me/bts

dkelly1110, Kalboz, kwai and 6 others like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming this is for domestic flights only since I'm unable to search for international airports like MAD/GIG/GRU on your tool.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct; it is domestic only as that's what is available from the underlying data source.

Also, I've imported the missing months from 2000-2001 and March & April of 2014 so I believe it is now as complete as it can be until next month when the May 2014 data becomes available.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reverse would be very handy in the Guess the Airport thread! :)

6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow very interesting! How long did it take you to simplify this process?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Surprisingly little time. The long/slow part was getting all the data into a database; that took several weeks, mostly because I was loading the data remotely and couldn't do bulk imports like I could if it was a personal server. Plus, there are 115 million rows of data so it takes a while to get that imported. And then there was some time optimizing the database so the queries didn't timeout all the time. Fortunately much of the code behind the display half of the project was already written for the other tools on the site so it moved over quickly.

Going forward the process to add a new month shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes of my time.

8. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting. Thanks for the efforts!! :)