Mystery deaths plague Thai hotel

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

  1. sobore
    Original Member

    sobore Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:

    Did a three-star Thai hotel inadvertently kill six of its guests while trying to poison bed bugs?
    Between January and March, six people suffering from virtually the same medical symptoms died after staying at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai or using its facilities.
    Authorities maintain the deaths are just a coincidence.
    But an investigation by New Zealand's "60 Minutes" news program discovered high levels of the pesticide chlorpyrifos, a chemical used to kill bed bugs, in the hotel room where New Zealand backpacker Sarah Carter, 23, died in February. Reporters pretending to be guests took samples from the room.
    The UK Daily Mail reported that Thai police recently raided the company in charge of eradicating insects at the hotel.
    "I think (Carter) has been killed by an overzealous sprayer who has been acting on the instructions of the hotel owner to deal with the bed bugs," United Nations chemical expert Dr. Ron McDowall told the Daily Mail.

    Read more:
  2. milchap
    Original Member

    milchap Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    Note to self: :eek:
    sobore likes this.

Share This Page