Mysterious miles posted to my account

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kevdietz, Apr 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kevdietz

kevdietz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a small mystery on my hands. I checked my mileageplus account this morning and noticed that over 2000 miles have been posted to my account, with the description provided as "Cartera". Even more interesting the miles that posted today were supposedly earned back in October, a few months before I started activity pursuing miles for non-flight related activity or even knew about shopping portals. I've tried googling it to no avail. Does anyone know know what this could be or had a similar experience? Could it just be a fluke and the miles were accidently deposited into the wrong account? I'm perplexed!

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've registered your credit cards on the MileagePlus Shopping portal, there are some retail stores and restaurants that give you miles for using a registered card in their business. These are traditional, brick and mortar, places, not online retailers. They show up initially as "Cartera" on your account, but if you go look at the MileagePlus Shopping site, you can see the actual merchant name in your activity there. You can also search for nearby stores and restaurants that participate in the program on the site, too.

ETA: If you have a MileagePlus credit card, those are automatically registered on the site to earn those miles – so you get them even if you never went to the shopping site to register your cards.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone else have mystery points from Cartera removed again today or yesterday?

4. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine matched both in MP and the detailed transactions in MP Shopping accounts.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to look at the MP Shopping account details tomorrow.