MyPoints.com - Best redemption options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by travelinmike33, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of you who use MyPoints, which rewards do you choose? Thanks to the free Award Wallet signup via this board, I noticed that I have just shy of 10k points in my account. I used Banana Republic $100 GC because it was the least points for $100 GC and it was a good little present to my wife.

Does everyone else stick to the travel rewards? On first glance, I didn't think the United miles were a good deal, but it's over a 50% discount from what it normally costs to buy miles, so that might be the best on there, particularly if you view using gift cards as missing out on CC miles. :)

I'm interested to hear other things I haven't thought about and why you choose what you choose!

alohastephen and flyingdawg like this.
  2. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use it for Starbucks gift cards. It's not the best value for the points, but it funds a big chunk of my modest away-from-home coffee habit, and it's something I would otherwise spend cash on, unlike the majority of other redemption options. (Oh, how I remember when 1000 points would buy you a $10 gas card...)

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazon.com $25 for 3850 is an ok deal for general merchandise, at 0.649 cents/point. But there are quite a few specialized retailers with the 3550 points $25 gift card, bumping up to 0.7 cents/point (or 0.74 cents/mile if you save up for the $50, which is one of the better deals. Sears and Kmart have 3600 points $25 gift cards, which are also really good if you shop at either place.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best value, by far, is the Marriott $75 gift card for 9,000 points (0.83¢/point).

5. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not earning quickly (for instance, if you don't shop through MyPoints and only earn points by clicking on emails, etc.), it can be a bit dangerous to keep saving the points toward one of the higher-value awards like the Marriott $75. The reason is that MyPoints periodically devalues its points. You might find yourself just shy of hitting 9,000 points and boom, now the award costs 10,000.

Personally I do most of my shopping through Ebates, which rewards in cash and often has a better percentage of return. I use MyPoints for a few aberrant merchants (Lancome is one) that have high payouts only on MyPoints, and of course I collect all the "free" click-through points I can. I can usually get a $25 gift card two or three times a year that way... generally Starbucks, for the same reason intueri cited. Most airports have at least one Starbucks, so the cards come in handy for travel.

6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I redeemed was $100 Sears card for 14,000pts IIRC. Decent value for me as I was in need of a new diswasher at the time and that knocked my of of pocket cash down by 20%.

I don't make purchases thru mypoints. I only accumulate points thru click-thrus and surveys. Needless to say it took several yrs for me to hit 14K pts.

alohastephen likes this.
  7. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past I have redeemed for UA miles. This time around I went with a store card. $50 for 7,500 points for most stores.

flyingdawg and alohastephen like this.