Mypoints.com - 500 points for a $5+ Starbucks e-gift card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by penumpang, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mypoints currently has a promotion for buying a Starbucks e-giftcard, which can be printed out for use, or loaded to a regular Starbucks card. If you buy at least $5, you'll get 500 points. If you are a member and already go to Starbucks, this is a good deal.

To get this deal, click on Shop -> All Merchants. This may be targeted, but in my account, Starbucks appears first on the alphabetical merchant list. You may also have received a Mypoints email for this deal. I bought one and the points instantly showed.

If you're not a member, United has a sign-on bonus of 750 points.

EDIT: The minimum now is $10.

santafefran, mikeef, sobore and 8 others like this.
  2. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, we found the same offer in my wife's account. She's a Starbucks regular so she happily bought a $5 card and scored 500 much-needed MyPoints. And the points post instantly, although with their usual 30-day pending. Great discovery.

3. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone attempted this more than once?

sobore and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the thought...wonder if this is repeatable.

5. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey, it's only $5, live dangerously! [​IMG]
    Seriously, the worst that happens is you don't get the points, but you still have a $5 gift card for your $5.

sobore likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when are we okay with getting even money [​IMG]?

7. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL......

8. Kaiser
    Original Member

Kaiser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I needed to reload my Starbucks card anyway so did it through this Mypoints offer twice. The first 500 points showed up instantly but the when I did it for the second time I received no points. So it looks like only the first $5 card you buy gets you 500.

BobbyOrr likes this.
  9. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the MyPoints site, and I didn't notice anything about a UA bonus....where can that be found????

10. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sahkuhnder and FlyingFree like this.
  11. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw somewhere online that some people reported that they were able to get 2 e-gift cards, but most people could get only one. I bought two $5 cards on two separate days -- one by clicking the link in the email from Mypoints and the other by going directly to Mypoints. A total of 1,000 points posted (as pending per their policy). I wanted to get a third, but I haven't had the courage to do so [​IMG].

BobbyOrr and free101girl like this.
  12. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad I read this thread! I had gotten the 500 MyPoints from the email offer and didn't realize the offer was also on the MyPoints site. Just bought another $5 gift card and instantly got the 500 MyPoints (pending for a month, as usual) for that purchase. Nice!

13. Kaiser
    Original Member

Kaiser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have the link from the email? If so please post it... Thanks

14. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure it will help. I believe links from MyPoint emails are unique to the recipient's account. When I receive a MyPoints email offer clicking on the link automatically accrues points to my account. Emails to my wife accrue to her account.

15. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe it's needed at all. I just went to mypoints.com, signed into my account and searched for Starbucks. Made the purchase through the link and got 500 points instantly. Then I redeemed the e-card and transferred the $5 balance to my Gold card.

16. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are two earlier posts where people indicated they were able to take advantage of this offer twice, once by going into MyPoints and clicking on the link, as you did, and a second time by clicking on a link in an email from MyPoints. My point (no pun intended) is that unless you actually received the email yourself, I don't think it will help if someone shares the link with you. The email link should credit the account of the email recipient, not a third party user.

icurhere2 likes this.
  17. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want coins with that, if you please.

akcae likes this.
  18. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah I meant to post about this one... I did the following with ease as others here seem to have, and in a way it goes down as the coolest churn yet lol:

• saw the offer for this starbucks e-card order
    • was asked by linked site to obtain card in amounts of $5, $10, etc...
    • was asked if loading by CC or, to my surprise, through the use of an existing starbucks account/card!
    • loaded using my own existing preloaded starbucks card for $5
    • obtained e-card/emails
    • saw link in message that said it could be used or its balance could be merged into an existing starbucks card
    • Clicked link and merged its balance back INTO my just now used existing starbucks card
    • All in all; it let me, it gave me these options. it went through fine.
    • later, on a call to starbucks corporate about something else in my existing gold card, I also confirmed that all of this actually went through.
    • I have printouts of all steps of the entire transaction which I will save until points post in full (since MP can sometimes lose track of its own deals and offers). Strangely, mine show up as follows in the week of Feb 20-27 points postings of my MP account:
    Pending (03-27-11)

Starbucks BonusMail - Purchase
    Earn
    +500 Points

penumpang, free101girl and BobbyOrr like this.
  19. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm now the happy recipient of an additional 500 MyPoints for a second Starbucks e-gift card offer (#1 direct from website, #2 via email offer received today.) However, I'll point out that the website offer required a minimum $5 spend, but today's email offer required a minimum $10 spend.

Kaiser, free101girl and BobbyOrr like this.
  20. BobbyOrr
    Original Member

BobbyOrr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for putting this thread up here. Just scored the 500 instant in my MyPoints account for reloading my Starbucks gold card. In the morning my first cup of joe will earn me another year at gold with them. Thanks again for alerting us to a simple yet valuable deal.

21. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ha, I did the same churn. Great minds think alike. :)

22. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, I hope I get the new email offer... since it has a different spend limit from the previous email, it's probably considered a "new offer" and will probably post another 500.

Remember, you don't even really have to spend $10 if you already have a Starbucks card with at least $10 on it. Just do the "churn" described by marathon man above.

penumpang likes this.
  23. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also keeping my eyes open for the email with the $10 requirement. If it comes, I will use do the churn like you and marathon man did. [​IMG]

Btw, a $10 purchase will also give you 1 point towards "My Shopping Tally." With 4 points, you'll get an equivalent of a $10 gift card (I think they reward you with points, not an actual gift card).

24. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip! What do you all consider the best redemption of MyPoints?

25. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    United air miles.

sobore likes this.