My year with the Citi Prestige Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 8, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the card less than one year ago. Heavy $450 annual fee but it came with 50,000 Thank You points.

So first of all, it comes with a $250 credit towards airline fees. We've used them on moderate length flights to move to Economy Plus - nice benefit for us that we might not have done if we were paying for it. In addition, it comes with three free rounds of golf at some wonderful courses. We are scheduled to go to Portugal for two weeks in May and had already set up two rounds of golf - one in Sintra at the Penha Longa (Ritz) Resort and one at one of the top courses in the Algarve. Sure enough, I discovered that they were on the list. Cancelled the times and rebooked for free. Saved me about $280. Off to Scottsdale with family next week and using my last free round at the TPC Scottsdale. Greens fee is $339 and for me it's free! So that's $620 in benefits just for golf. Add that to the $250 airline benefit and we're up to $870. Not a bad investment.

Of course, the first year you get those free miles. Use them on American Airlines and they are worth $800. Transfer them to an airline and you can get two domestic RT tickets, one First Class RT ticket, etc.

My take - great card to keep and use - especiallly for a golfer!. Absolute no-brainer to get for one year.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you haven't used the 4th night free benefit? It seems like a good deal, but IME booking with their agents is like pulling teeth!
    I don't play golf, but the rebate is useful if you have lots of patience to deal with their wait time, incompetent agents, and need to follow up when rebates don't post, If they'd get their act together it would be great.

3. ogcorp

ogcorp Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking in apply for this before the benefits change next year

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booking (flights, as I have very few 4-night stays throughout the year) through Citi was not so bad. And apparently the hotel part may have gotten easier.

In a year's time, it seems like the core value proposition of the card in terms of benefits will almost solely lie in the 4th night free benefit, and *maybe* the better priority pass. The dropped AA benefits are a big reduction in value. At the effective $200 AF - what (other than the 4th night free which will either deliver value clearly in excess of the fee, or nothing, depending on travel patterns) differentiates the prestige vs. the Sapphire preferred at half the fee? Or the amex PRG at 195-100? Or the Citi Premier?

The 4th night free benefit is clearly/potentially quite valuable to those who use it (and presumably not cheap to deliver, although the changes help a lot to limit costs...), but other benefits are not in line with the AF. And the benefit becomes "save <25% on long hotel stays" where taxes and possible availability of better rates (or rebates) elsewhere really eat into the value.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Play it right and get $250 AA Gift Card each calendar year, total $500.00, plus the $800.00 toward an AA Flight purchase

I am looking at $1300.00, plus when Flying AA use of the lounge...

I can justify the 450 fee, with the other perks, no brainier..

Newscience likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could you explain how you get the AA gift card?

Newscience likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume he used the credit for a gift card, although it also applies for flights so no need to bother imo.

Newscience likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could buy any airlines gift card, just a thought.

My wife has a company travel expense account, so the card is a great perk, and with the 4th night free works great..

Newscience likes this.
  9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've had issues with those gift cards. AA for example you can't use more than one on a flight and its often difficult to near impossible to apply them. Personally I would just stick with the United Gift Bank, since you can use the whole thing on any flight you book.

Personally I've gotten a reasonable amount of value out of the card--adding the bonus TY points to my pool, making all of them worth 1.6 instead of 1.25 cents on AA flights, using those points to book some free trips. Etc. Also applied for a CitiGold account first to take the annual fee down. Plus the $250 CALENDAR YEAR airline fee coverage.

However, given the reduction in benefits next July, I'll be killing it before then. I'll hit them up for another $250 in January and then kill it before the AF comes due.

satman40 likes this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to see you this side of the grass, Gconnery..

Citi is giving favorable renewals lately...

Actually you can buy any airline giftcard with Citi Prestige Card.. they do not expire, I also people dumping then on EBay.

We also added Insurance on the PEK Trip 4/17, Med Trip back to the US or trip interruption at 75 is a good deal..@ $27.00 each..plus 11 bucks, 38 times 2...adds up fast,

The card has some good perks, using the 4th night free JAC next month, so that $400 comes back fast..,

For us it has been a great deal...

I will apply in my name next year, and not renew the wife's card...

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread keeps popping up in my recent posts, and the misinformation is driving me batty.

You can use up to 8 gift cards on an AA ticket, per their terms: https://giftcards.aa.com/

and I do not recall this being difficult to do at all.

Airfare is explicitly listed as eligible for the prestige air credit: https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/portal/template.do?ID=GACTermsBenefits
    (although looking at my account, it did not credit automatically this year for me and I need to call and check.). So unless you want/need to time-shift expenses, can't bear to put airfare on the card, or never buy airline tickets, there's no pressing need to mess around with gift cards.

satman40 likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did not know about her the 8 card rule, 2 or 3 would be my limit...

Always hate to leave money on the table, comes from growing up poor,..:cool:

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    correction: this year's credit applied on the first statement of the year in early january, and just was not showing up in the online transaction search.

14. Dcpremex

Dcpremex Active Member

Status Points:
    Great deal for me - 4th night free had paid for itself many times over. And it will be even better for me when they use the average of the hotel costs (not the 4th night) - for example I stayed at a hotel a week ago with the following rates (by day): 650,650,450,400 so I would do better using average cost.