My wife (Gold) got upgraded using the Chase credit card on an award tix

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dhammer53, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks back, I cashed in my miles for an award ticket for my wife. It was domestic, so she flew coach. ;)

A day before she flew, I got an e mail that her upgrade cleared. :eek: What upgrade?? This was an award ticket. I forget that the UA Chase credit card has as a benefit upgrades on award tickets.

Haven't I been reading??? :D
    Of course she expected to fly upfront on the return, but it was not meant to be.

Instead of liking my post, please take a few minutes and start a new thread in the forum of your choice.

genemk2, wrxmom, IDGflygirl and 5 others like this.
  2. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    Awesome when this happens...

uggboy likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the reasons I ended up owning my own company is that I have a problem with being told what to do. :D

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

5. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your wife might have received the upgrade to Business due to YOUR status on UA. I used miles to obtain a economy ticket for my brother, who does not fly at all, and he was upgraded to Business in both directions SLC<>IAD. Thus, in this case, it was my status (1K) that did the trick.

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was the first thing I thought as a MM (that's Gold for life, until UA 'enhances' it :mad:).
    Then, I realized that she's Gold, since I was able to 'gift' this to her. Then, I realized the UA cc was in my name. ;)

trobb49, welcome to Milepoint.

miles and smiles and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love those CPUs on award tix via the cc!:)

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only award tickets that qualify for upgrade are those for "primary cardholders" of certain Chase/United cobranded cards. If she got an award while traveling on an award ticket that you booked, and the Chase/United card is yours, then she just got lucky.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/upgrades.aspx

I buy tickets for my non-status daughter several times per year, almost always pay with money, not miles and she can't even get into E+ unless I happen to be traveling with her.

9. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    this happened to me several months ago. I just rolled with it.... didn't want to call it to UA's attention.... now I'll be expecting it! Before I didn't check aircraft type when booking an award ticket... but from now on, I'll be looking out for those big 1st class cabins

Sunshine7 likes this.
  10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll probably keep the card after the first year and pay the $95 fee. It will be worth it as I burn my remaining miles, some for domestic tix. If I get upgraded just once, it will be worth it.

IDGflygirl and KenInEscazu like this.
  11. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mom, who is a silver, got my wife an award ticket for SFO-OGG and paid the fee with her card. 27 hours prior to her flight, my wife got upgraded to F (not sure why it was 27), and was also upgraded on her return. Lightning in a bottle.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't start expecting it just yet. I believe CC-linked upgrades on awards rank lower than all paid upgrades and those supported by an instrument. So if you're 1K, you will be the very last 1K upgraded. Then again, it does seem that 1Ks getting an award upgrade still rank higher than other elites as far as I can tell. So you will still get upgraded before Plat/Gold/Silver.

pyelder likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were told by the HNL UC agents that getting on the standby upgrade list now requires manual entry at the airport if you are eligible for a CPU with a card while flying on award miles. I had luck last year in getting award mile upgrades for family members flying on my miles.

15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were told that when the software gets corrected the 1Ks on award miles will come after all paid-fare CPUs (even silver).

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting data point. I'm going to call and inquire about my upcoming flights. Maybe I can add my name to the list now. Thanks.

17. 15A
    Original Member

15A Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't believe this is accurate. When Chase/UA announced this benefit, it was stated clearly that award upgrades would be prioritized after paid customers with the same status but before customers with lower status. It is even spelled out on the United website:

United Upgrades Overview
    Of course, they can always change this but I don't see why they would change a stated benefit this quickly.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does seem fair, after all I can't imagine the Plats, Golds, and even Silvers frustration at seeing their benefits become more diluted as 1Ks on awards get free upgrades ahead of them.

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can talk out of both sides of my mouth on this topic. While I agree that it "seems" fair at first glance, consider that a 1K first earned that status, then earned the upgrade by patronizing the partner (Chase). Those Chase awards aren't automatic. They are earned by spending, so like anything in this zoo, they weren't "free" at all.

I spent most of my flying years as silver, and that was OK on pmCO. These days, however, the Premier Silver card is where the benefits start AND end. No extra bags is a big deal to those like me who always carry the max, and getting an upgrade is rare enough to start a thread on MP in order to share in the excitement. I'm getting no more perks as UA Platinum than I did as pmCO Silver, and I'm not even excited about making 1K from the things I read here.

The right policy for this scenario is not as obvious as are many where the New UA seems to almost invariably make the wrong decision. IMHO, of course. :cool:

IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the agent was misinformed.

21. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read the CPU rules on the website and I interpreted them to allow upgrade eligibility only after all paid fares have been cleared. The CC information appears to imply something different. The agent that I talked to phrased it in a way that matches the website language. In reading the site several times I realize that it is possible to read it either way, so I cannot say how it will be applied :confused:.

22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do think that some paid fares deserve to trump an award ticket regardless of premier status. I am not so sure that the lowest paid fare should since I consider award flights to have the same value as the lowest fare category in most cases.

23. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key thing there is that when buying a ticket for cash, only the status of the person flying matters. Your status has no impact, hence there's no E+ access, free bags or anything. However when a ticket is purchased with miles, the status of the account that the miles came from is what matters. Assuming a Plat/1K, this allows E+, luggage allowances and also maintains the free-change/cancel privileges. AFAIK this also includes the CC status that may be associated with that account.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been told twice today that this is not true, fwiw, unless the person the miles came from is traveling on the ticket.

8MiHi likes this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, friends and family flying on my miles booked through united.com with my login have received the same benefits. It is really odd to me that this has been the casse when I can login to my account and PAY for tickets that gain no benefits for them. I'm sure that there are some dots I'm not connecting behind the logic of this policy, but it has been the case for me, and I don't get it.

Sunshine7 likes this.