My visit to the Southern Ocean Lodge on Australia's Kangaroo Island

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by NYBanker, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the opportunity to visit the Southern Ocean Lodge on a business trip not too long ago. It was a wonderful experience.

My principal business was in Sydney, so to visit the Lodge I flew SYD-ADL on QF, spent the night in ADL and flew ADL-KGC (Kingscote) on ZL (Rex Air) the next morning.

The hotel was built in the later part of the last decade and is perched on an isolated cliff on Kangaroo Island overlooking the Southern Ocean. The hotel design is not complex – it is comprised of a large great room, about 25 junior and deluxe suites all along a single corridor (including several with private plunge pools) and an outdoor terrace off of the great room with a small shared plunge pool. There is also a stand-alone spa building with a small number of treatment rooms. All accommodations have direct ocean views, as do the great room, dining area and terrace.

Upon entry to the hotel, you know you are in someplace special – the front doors open directly into their large sitting room (called the great room), and beyond that to the terrace and small plunge pool. The far (southern) wall of the great room is all glass and the views of the cliffs and ocean beyond are nothing short of expansive.

When I made my booking, my initial reaction was that the prices were a little (ok, more than a little) high. The hotel told me “everything” was included with the rate; but I didn’t fully register what that meant when I was told this. I decided the location looked spectacular enough and I’d forget about the price. It turns out, the hotel is all-inclusive. The room rate included private airport transfers on the island, wine and liquor, all meals, as well as any organized excursions that you wanted to participate in.

Read my full report here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting resort... The all-inclusive part of this hotel is very nice! :)

Chimpy, Mangy and uggboy like this.
  3. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks NYB, for a trip report on a part of Australia that I would never have considered going to

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report NYB! Thanks.

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your report with us NYB! :)

sobore and uggboy like this.
  6. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent report. Thanks for sharing. I was considering this place, and you have made up my mind.

7. canadensechris

canadensechris Active Member

Status Points:
    Great report! those rocks look like giant bones or outdoor artwork.

8. babykoala

babykoala New Member

Status Points:
    lovely pictures