My Upcoming AA Reservation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi ... I wasn't sure the ramifications for my change that I had in mind.

Currently I'm booked on
    LAX - ORD - LGA
    LGA - DFW - SJC
    SJC - LAX

I would like to change SJC - LAX to be one day later and from SFO. The Change fee + Fare difference makes the change $179.00

However If I just booked SFO - LAX it would be $69.00. If I don't show up for the SJC - LAX ... would anything negative happen?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not at all. We did that recently when my wife and I were coming back from Brazil. We were routed through DFW and she decided she wanted to see our daughter in Seattle, so she dumped the DFW to LAX portion and booked DFW to SEA. I even told them at check in since we were both in first and I figured someone else could have the upgrade. I flew back to LAX as originally scheduled since I had a meeting and couldn't go to Seattle on that trip.

MX, gleff and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool so she didn't get the flight credit for DFW - LAX; but instead got DFW - LAX. And the previous flights credited okay?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Throw away the final segment and buy the new ticket you prefer. Do it often enough rather than a few times per year and you may get nasty grams. But I wouldn't sweat this.

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    if possible... wouldn't canceling that final segment avoid the nasty grams in the future? (if its possible to just cancel one segment ... maybe next time i should just book each flight seperately...)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can always toss the last segment. Never toss/no show a segment before that or the rest of the itinerary may cancel.

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  7. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do not call and cancel the last segment. They may reprice the entire trip and charge you more. As the esteemed gleff advised, just no show. If you only do this once in a while, it will be fine.

Cdnblue, MX, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, this is called the "Hidden City" trick. Fully agree with others upthread, don't tell anyone and do it very sparingly.

edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you mean she didn't get DFW-LAX but got DFW-SEA instead and that is correct. She also got credit for all of the other flights that she did take.

edekba likes this.