My Two Favorite (non-standard) Travel Tech Products

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Derek, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I have two favorite, do not hit the road without them, type travel tech products. By non-standard, I mean not a laptop, cell-phone, headphones, etc. The first is an Apple Airport Express. This may well have been discussed on this thread, but honestly, searching for "airport," and "express," on a travel forum returns too many results for me to sort through. This product is basically a glorified wireless router, which easily takes a hardwired internet connection and creates a secure wireless network. Essential for hotels that lack WI-FI. The second is a Belkin 3-outlet (plus two USB port) travel surge protector. I did search for Belkin, and nothing came up so I do not think it has been discussed here on MP. It is basically a tiny, swiveling surge protector with 3 AC outlets and 2 USB charging ports. As we all know, hotel rooms never seem to have enough outlets, and this is a great solution. Unplug the bedside lamp (not the alarm clock!) replace it with the Belkin SP, plug the lamp, your computer, and whatever else into the SP's 3 outlets, then your iPhone and your camera into the two USB ports, and you are good to go!

SeaRaptor, Dorlee, N965VJ and 4 others like this.
  2. GenieFlyer

GenieFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestion on the Belkin 3-outlet (+2 usb port). I just picked up two from amzn. Wish I could give you a referral bonus :)

N965VJ, Chimpy and travelingmore like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I carry a Monster Outlet to Go travel power strip and wireless router,

Chimpy and N965VJ like this.
  4. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I carry a standard 3 outlet plug. I find it most useful when someone is using one of the rare airport outlets. I can ask to share because I can increase the number of available plugs.

ETA: The Belkin one looks very useful. I may be due for an upgrade.

N965VJ likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one of those and take it with me if I have enough space in my bag, but don't use it as much as I thought I would. One reason is that it seems to only be designed for 110V countries. Another reason is that I can charge most of my devices off of my laptop nowadays, so with two USB ports that goes a long way.

N965VJ and Chimpy like this.
  6. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I purchased an airport express for my last trip away, mainly for use with my ipad. After the initial set up at home with a pc I have used it at several hotels without an issue. I even tend to use it in hotels with wifi as the airport express seems a lot faster. All in all a great purchase.:)

JALPak, N965VJ, Horse and 1 other person like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a D-Link DAP-1350 for all my mini router needs; the USB port rocks for sharing stuff and even powering the device! Plus I loathe every piece of Apple gear I own(Time Machine, Mac Pro, iPod Touch, many many older macs) so I don't want any more ;)

N965VJ, Horse and Wurm like this.
  8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the older version of the D-Link (doesn't support N) - I bought it for $15 from the pre-bankruptcy CompUSA on a one-day special, and it performs flawlessly.

I have both the Belkin and Monster power strips/units. I usually carry the Monster in my computer bag, but will bring the Belkin instead if I'm on a longer trip and want the USB capability.

One note: Both the Monster and Belkin are only rated for North American power voltage (110v). For international travel, I just picked up this power strip, which is rated for worldwide voltage and also has universal plug recepticles:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/SM-60-Univers...p/B003UHYDYO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8

9. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice find, perfect for flying in whY with only 1 plug per row :rolleyes: and for the random 220v things you find!

N965VJ likes this.
  10. jw3711
    Original Member

jw3711 Silver Member

Status Points:
    N965VJ likes this.
  11. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The airport express is great, I love the compact form factor and the speed and convenience is great. It is very much like the original true travel router, the linksys WTR54gs. That was G only, but all in one and actually has some firmware features that are better than the AE. I actually carry BOTH of these sometimes as I might need to get wired internet from a wall to say a device that is connected to a TV far away, in another room, etc. The linkly AND the AE combined will do that for me.

A note about SEARCH. Similar to google and other search engines, you can put a search in QUOTES ala, "airport express" and get results that are limited to that string only. That search yields only about three pages of results here and not the 15+ that indeed - airport express - yields.

I'll try and research whether or not there are any Boolean operators that would work. For example, AIRPORT w/i 2 EXPRESS which would only yield results where the results would only show where the world AIRPORT was within 2 discreet character sets of the word EXPRESS. Google will do this with some boolean operators, like AND OR NOT - etc., not sure if they have the traditional ones implemented yet, and doing a search of MP VIA google might be a more efficient way to search MP?

google search. AIRPORT EXPRESS -TRAIN site:milepoint.com

12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dorlee and N965VJ like this.
  13. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    My honey is always asking if I want him to get me any gadgets. I'm putting this on the list.

14. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually ordering a few as gifts. These are great.

15. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use an MBR1000 with my Sprint Aircard. I've heard anecdotes that the speed is a bit better when using one of these as well.

Chimpy likes this.
  16. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had one of the old Linksys travel routers, but it died an untimely death, and I don't bother carrying a router any more.

Can those monster power strips be plugged into the new normal power ports on planes. Is there enough juice to run some smaller stuff (Nook, ipod, etc) along with a laptop?

N965VJ likes this.
  17. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Limitations may come from how much voltage those in-seat power supplies are providing. For example, on many AA aircraft, the power-port boxes only put out 70 watts.

If your laptop is especially power-hungry, there may be a limit as to how much you can charge at a given time.

sunseeker and N965VJ like this.
  18. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I thought. Thanks.

19. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    My monster power strip.

I can plug in my laptop and charge my camera, smartphone and iPod Touch.

It's also great when on a plane or train and you want to play games of watch a lot of videos. You never have to worry about running out of juice.

20. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could receive one:)

Thanks for the tip. This looks nice, and great for international travel, but appears not to have a swivel like the Belkin. It appears the Monster units lack this feature as well, but I could be wrong. What I mean is the prongs on the back can rotate 360 degrees so you can fit it into hard to reach outlets. I should say however, that this functionality is not readily apparent. There is a little oval button on the back that you have to press in (quite hard) as you rotate it. This is actually my only complaint about the Belkin unit, and IMHO NBD at all. Having a soft cord attached, as the non-Belkin units might make up for this somewhat but I have not tried them so I cannot say.

Also, I have an important tip for everyone related to charging travel devices in general, that I do not think many people know. USB Charging is not as fast as charging directly from an AC outlet. If I plug my iPhone into a wall outlet, it takes about an hour to get a good charge, while it takes several hours to do so via USB. Generally this does not matter if you are charging something overnight, but if you need to quickly juice your phone, avoid USB and plug it into an AC outlet.

21. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Belkin 3-plug/2-USB surge protector. I've been looking for something like this to travel with, and it fits the bill perfectly!

Question: obviously the plug is US standard, but couldn't you just slap an adapter on it for whatever country you were in and then have 3 US-style outlets? I am not an electrician, so sometimes the safety aspects of these kinds of things are a mystery to me.

22. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used an adapter with my standard US 4 outlet Monster outlets while in Germany and everything worked and charged.

23. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip on this. I ordered one for an upcoming trip.

emajy likes this.
  24. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018MEBNG

Cost is only $2.99 + $4.99 shipping so a good deal for under $8

25. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I suspected it wouldn't be a big deal, but never hurts to ask. I'm headed out to London soon and haven't tried an adapter/power strip combo before.