My small quandary, MH or QF…?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by apgrizzwald, Jul 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    While booking my first international trip on miles (newbie), I’ve come across a small quandary – so I’m hoping for some votes/advice/input to make the best decision

I’m headed to the Maldives! Blowing my AA stash on a first class *O redemption. I secured outbound seats on CX(P)…but they are no-shows for my return. So I thought I’d take the opportunity to fly my first A380 and I’m thinking these are my best two [available] award options:
    1) MLE-KUL-LHR-IAD – getting a Malaysia A380 for the long haul and all on miles
    2) MLE-DXB-LHR-IAD – I’d have to buy Emirates economy positioning to DXB but then I could catch a QF A380 to LHR.

I’m glossy-eyed after reading Emirates and Qantas reviews, but is it worth the cash and extra miles for the departing region? Alternatively, I really haven’t found any Malaysia Air reviews, but the fewer miles and still being a first class A380, so maybe I should stay simple and save a few bucks?

Please share your insider bits and two-cents…I just can’t decide which to do!!!

2. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just found out I could have added a poll....perhaps you can just give me a vote for option 1 or 2....

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe EK F for the shower or 2 SQ F for a double bed, I would pay extra cash or miles.
    No reason to pay more for QF F over MH F IMHO.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eh I can take a shower at home or hotel. But I'm cheap

Steven Schwartz and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, the reason I flew MH was the simple fact that the flight timing out of MLE was better. Take that into consideration.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I'd want to avoid the purchased Emirates positioning flight in coach.

desamo likes this.
  8. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna take the other side of the argument. You should do what's gonna make you happy. If you have been lusting over the EK A380, then you should do it. The anticipation alone will be worth the price to position.

In a few months, are you gonna even remember the price difference? If so, don't do it. But if the cost wont impact you too much, then do it. Just think about how much more passionate you will be telling that story about your EK flight.

That's my motto in life. Live better stories, one trip at a time.

coolumbla and flyforawg like this.
  9. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:

Eh I can sleep in a lie flat bed at home or hotel. But I'm cheap ;)

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eh, I live near NYC so I can see lots of sites there. Why go anywhere?;)

TheBOSman likes this.