My Plea to AMEX: Add Alaska Airlines as MR Partner!

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by rajuabju, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been an AMEX account holder for close to a decade now. Green, Blue, SPG, Hilton, Gold.. I've had various cards over the years, and I put between 50k to 80k on my various cards a year. I know, peanuts to some, but still... I'm the typical AMEX card holder... good credit, pay on time, loyal, etc.

As everyone knows, the MR has taken some big hits with major partners leaving, or being devalued. And the recent additions of Virgin/Choice dont cut it for most of us. Adding a partner like AA or US Airways is pretty much a pipe dream.

My $175 Gold card renewal fee is due in 3 months. I've transferred almost all my MR points out. And I'm wavering on renewing for the first time in years. If Amex is listening, there is one partner who may be within reach that would keep me loyal to Amex: Alaska Airlines.

Alaska pretty much partners with every major US carrier. And many international partners. Reward availability is generally pretty good. Their CS is (in my experience) top notch. More importantly, they are not partnered with Chase (who pretty much requires exclusivity it seems), but with BofA (who doesnt, at least it seems, see: Hawaiian and Virgin which issue their card through BofA, but are an MR partner).

So Amex, if you are listening... please make an effort to add AS as a transfer option for MR. I really dont want to jump ship, but if you are asking me to pay $175 a year, I need to make sure the value is there for me. Adding AS would go a very long way in keeping me (and I suspect many others) as happy and satisfied card holders. That is all.

2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Amex MR added AS I would probably jump ship from the AS BofA card. As great as the BofA companion ticket is, since I've moved to the east coast I've just not been able to put it to use (I tend to travel alone when flying back to the West) :(
    I'm less sure about BofA not throwing a fit, though. Back when I lived in Seattle, it seemed like everyone I knew had the AS Visa. I'm not sure BofA would want to give up that exclusivity. But as you pointed out, it's not outside the realm of possibility... Here's for hoping that they hear you!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be a GREAT partner ship for most west-coasters and alliance-hoppers as well. Time to start the campaign by updating our signature lines!

4. ekolai

ekolai Active Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I cancelled my Amex PRG just a few days ago. I hope they add partners, such as Alaska in the future, and I'd come back. But I simply couldnt justify the $175 annual fee. Most of my spend is now on my Chase Sapphire card ($10k this month alone).

6. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be happy if Amex UK and/or Amex Australia added Asiana (OZ) as a partner. I can transfer SPG starpoints to OZ, but not MRs.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with posting here, but you would be better off, I believe, writing AMEX with your suggestion.

Toula, adl73x and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did, twice to different departments. Both thanked me for the suggestion but of course these things dont happen overnight.

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand. I just emailed AMEX with a suggestion for their Blue Cash Preferred card. We will see..............

10. Brocki

Brocki Active Member

Status Points:
    Being a Blue Cash Preferred cardholder myself I'm curious what these suggestions might have been. Would you mind to tell us what it was and to keep us posted about the response from Amex? Thx!