My next AOR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Jan 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I had good luck with posting my plans for my last AOR on here, so thought I'd try again. I'm planning to do an AOR after 1/22 which is 365+ days since I cancelled my Amex SPG Business card (still have the personal, realize now I should have done the reverse).

Anyway, I'm thinking of applying for:

Amex Business: SPG, a churn 365 days since last one. I spend a bunch on my Amex SPG for work, have a legitimate business, and I think a decent relationship with Amex. Hopefully no issue.

Amex Personal: Maybe the Virgin Atlantic 50/65K offer, since that'll be 100K/130K HH points rather than whatever I can get for the Hilton NAF. I'd like to get another Surpass for the supermarket spend, but 365 days isn't up until May.

After I'm approved planning to close an ancient Amex Green and a Platinum MB Personal in preparation for a future Gold PRD. May do the MB immediately or wait until I get refunded the $200 they offered me for the AA lounge departures. Will see.

Other options: Amex HH NAF, Jet Blue?

Chase Business: Either Chase Ink Bold VISA (I have the MC) or the Chase Ink Plus. In theory I qualify for the Ink Bold, but seeing how Chase is being more difficult lately with Business cards I might just go for the Plus now. Theory being its an easier sell (I need to stretch out payments sometimes). Any suggestions on which to do next?

Chase Personal: Probably the Chase Hyatt. Just for the free nights really.

Other options: Not sure there are any. Went through SW Personal and Bus so have companion pass already. Can do the non-Premier cards in the future but no point in wasting them now. Have done United already.

Citi Business: Time for a CitiBusiness AA churn I guess. Might take a break from Citi though. I have like 4 Citi AA cards from the big opportunity last year, and probably enough miles for the moment. And a Citi HH Preferred already. Could go for the NAF but doesn't seem worth it. Have a LOT of HH points I can burn if need be.

Barclay Personal:
    Probably go for US Air #2 without closing the first I got last April. Would wait the year but seems like the advice is this is churnable and don't want to wait too long since it might go away soon. Close #1 shortly thereafter probably.

Barclay Business:
    I think there's a US Air Business card. Might try for that too. Need to research what the recommendations on this are.

BofA Personal?
    May try for Alaska #2. Lucky says he has two. Another thread suggests you can churn every 90 days. My current one is from April of last year.

Probably no Business cards with Alaska. Already have the Alaska Business.

Probably won't go for the new Virgin or Hawaiian Airlines cards. But may take a look.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do a Hyatt Diamond challenge before you apply for the Hyatt card.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you're referring to the 2 nights in a Suite if you're a Diamond? That isn't part of the deal anymore. Went away a while back. Anyway, I'm Hyatt Diamond already through Milepoint Premium 1 and a small mistake by somebody in entering it last year... though I'll be kicking off a Diamond Challenge when it expires, probably in March.

pwkwg779 and Kalboz like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  5. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I didn't know that! That's too bad.

6. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be curious what you find out about the US Air business card. There is a Capitol One offer for a 50K bonus on the Venture 2% card. Might be worth a look. The BarclayCard Arrival 40K bonus with 2.2 percent on spend is also worth a look if you don't already have it.

7. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stay away from cap1...Not worth a credit pull on all 3 credit reports for one card

gconnery likes this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    @youpaiyou - I guess the replacement for this is to use Cash & Points plus a Suite Upgrade. Put in one of those over the phone recently, and while it took a little while since the agent wasn't that familiar with the process (hey, its new), it worked out great. 10k points + $100/nt + Suite Upgrade = $500+ a night room. Or of course just hope for a suite upgrade on an award stay.

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of pushing the Chase Hyatt into the future since the 2 free nights have an expiration date and I don't have a specific use in mind. Thinking instead of applying for the Chase AirTran card for the 16 A+ credits. 2 free round trips on Southwest, which we'll definitely use (we go to Disneyland every so often, as well as to Phoenix, Las Vegas and other destinations for which Southwest is often the best choice). Looks like you can move these to Southwest Credits and even back and forth to extend their one year life as well as transfer them between people, so maybe one of these for the wife as well.

Also the Virgin Atlantic isn't an Amex anymore, its issued by BofA. So the personal Amex might just end up being a HH NAF for 40K. Almost no point to it, but I can't apply for a Surpass yet (less than a year since I cancelled) and it has good earnings rates at Supermarkets, something I don't have in my collection right now. And I can keep it for the long haul to improve my credit score.

Considered the Chase 70K no fee the first year Ritz Carlton, since you can transfer that to 25K AA or UA miles, but thinking I'll do that later, since the Air Tran may disappear at some point in the near future...

10. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found out today
    Found out today that Air Trans points can not be used on flights they do not fly to/from. I fly from RNO and Air Trans points can not be used for flights there. Also, 16 credit do not equal 50K SWA points.

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually 32 credits can be better than 50k WN points, if there is standard award availability and the cost of the flight is above average. They would be great for last minute availability where the revenue tag is high. So, RNO may still be an option with Airtran if there is WN standard availability and the revenue fare isn't cheap.

EDIT - my bad. I assumed the Airtran card offer was for 32 not 16. If the Airtran card offers 16, then pass on it. I got the 32 offer with 2 biz upgrades back in August.

12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a 32 A+ credit offer available for Air Trans from Chase. Just used it.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/airtran/32loyaltycorner

And of course you can transfer these to Southwest as credits for use there as well, in fact transfer them to a different account (say your spouse to you), and transfer them back and forth to avoid them expiring since you only have a year to use them otherwise.

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so here's what I went for in the end:

#1 Amex SPG Business 25K SPG after $5,000 in 6mos
    http://track.linkoffers.net/a.aspx?foid=3108183&fot=9999&foc=1
    #2 CitiExecutive 75K AA points after $7,500 in 3mos and $100 statement credit after $100 spend
    http://thepointsguy.com/go/CitiAAExec75K/
    #3 Chase Ink Bold VISA 50K UR after $5,000 in 3mos
    http://inkbold.frequentmiler.net/
    #4 Chase Air Tran $2,000 in 3mos
    https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/airtran/32loyaltycorner
    #5 US Air #2 40K on approval, 10K on balance transfer
    https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1695&cellNumber=51
    #6 Alaska Air #2 25K on approval, $100 statement credit after $1,000 spend
    https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VABROP&mboxSession=1366432240008-513864
    #7 Hilton Amex NAF $750 in 3mos
    https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/hilton-hhonors-card/71-1000-272

The US Air was the only immediate approval. All the others are pending and I'll do a round of calls on Monday.

The SPG Business is a churn. I cancelled the last one 366+ days ago. Hopefully a no-brainer but we'll see. Like to get the 5% Open off my Business Platinum and see the 2 stays / 5 nights on my SPG record for the year.

I held out for a day or so to see if the 100K CitiExecutive link would show up over on FT, but it feels like a bit of a white whale. And over at TPG there are suggestions that people are able to upgrade the offer if they call in and get the right rep. We'll see.

The Ink Bold VISA replacing my current Ink Bold MC was a judgement call. Enough data points that people were getting this card after the other and seeing the points I decided to go for it. Will do the Ink Plus later.

Air Tran credits I'll transfer to Southwest. I assume this card will disappear at some point.

US Air I assume will become AA miles at some point. Again, assuming this card will go away at some point though Gary seems to suggest it may be a while. Did not cancel US Air #1. I'll confirm the bonus offer before putting any spend on the card.

Alaska Air #2 is a bit of a shot in the dark. Perhaps a wasted pull. Used to be possible to churn these cards every 3 months. Unclear if you are now able to. And BofA may have pulled their reconsideration phone numbers so if I don't get it there may be no way to change their mind, other than in writing I suppose.

Hilton Amex NAF is just a frill. Minimal spend. With NAF I'll probably keep it for a while. And since I don't have a Surpass at the moment (waiting out a churn), its got decent multiples on Supermarket and elsewhere that I can use on those Safeway/VONS GCs and of course actual supermarket spend.

misterbwong likes this.
  14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW that's a lot of spend to push through. I'd be interested in your experience with the AS card as I'm planning to get #2 soon too. Did you cancel #1 before applying?

16. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to your update/ results.

17. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. cuebert

cuebert Member

Status Points:
    Let us know when the bonus points post. I have the Plus MC now and closed a Bold MC. Would be nice to get the Visa versions if there's a bonus.

19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also looking to do a big AoR today/tomorrow and trying to finalize down to 4 cards to apply for.

Chase Ink Plus (50k sign-up bonus)...need Hyatt points for summer vacation, already have Hyatt card.
    US Airways MC (get it before it goes away, though don't know when that will be.)
    Chase Freedom
    Delta AmEx Gold (35k sign-up bonus)...need to start re-earning delta miles for my annual 2015 SLC ski trip.
    Club Carlson Visa
    AA Executive Card (for the obvious 100k bonus)

Which 4 would you pick? Also, any others I am missing that might be good?

20. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, you *have* to go for the AA Executive if you can handle the spend (real or manufactured). Not like that offer is around all the time. The rest you could probably do now or 3 months from now and they likely wouldn't be any different.

If you don't have a Chase Ink Bold/Plus card you should of course do that. Assuming you can pass their apparently new thresholds for qualifying as a "real" business and have the required credit rating.

The Freedom doesn't offer much of a bonus, and is just a great card to have in the long run for the quarterly bonuses. This year 2 quarters out of four you can hit 7-Eleven's and of course the December quarter you can do Amazon. But Q2 this year isn't great, and you can always push this one. If you want to pick four, push this one out.

Delta sounds like you have specific plans. And its an Amex which should be a slam dunk.

The Club Carlson and US Airways are both US Bank so you should pick one of these. I'd go for the US Airways since it'll disappear at some point and its a good offer. Though its possible we'll see higher bonus offers in the near future as the clock ticks down to zero.

So I'd say Ink Plus, US Air, Delta Amex Gold and AA Exec.

21. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I got six out of seven. The Alaska Air #2 looks like a no go (I did not close the previous one before this application). The letter I got in the mail says too many recent inquiries (certainly a good reason in my case). I may try calling them this week. Not sure I need the card bad enough. The US Air and Amex cards were automatic. The Chase required a call. As did the Citi Executive. Working on the plan for hitting the spending now, which will rely I suspect on pushing some of the SPG spend out a quarter since I've got six months for that. Haven't decided what to do with the Citi Card offer. Thinking about it. Also need to confirm the bonus offers in all cases and haven't done that yet.

And of course suddenly all the beans in my local town have vanished. Hit up 5 different CVS's recently looking and all are out. Still doable with VGC's, just more of a pain in the ass.

22. pwkwg779

pwkwg779 Member

Status Points:
    Next week I'll do my second big AOR. Back in November I applied for, in this order:
    1) Riz Carlton Chase Visa (for the 70,000 Marriott points, $200 Ritz Gift Card & $400 in airline credits); approved
    2) Barclay Arrival (for the $440 travel credit); approved
    3) Citi AA personal Mastercard (for the 50,000 AA miles); approved
    4) BofA Alaska personal (for the 25,000 AS miles & $100 statement credit); approved
    5) BofA Alaska business (for the 25,000 AS miles); declined, perhaps indicating it was a mistake to list business income was identical to personal income

For this round I'm considering:
    1) Marriott Premier (for 70,000 Marriott, as it syncs with Ritz card to provide 5 nights in Rome)
    2) Citi Executive (for 100,00 AA miles)
    3) SPG Business (for 25,000 SPG)

23. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a plan. You could:

- Go for the SPG personal as well for another 25K and of course the very helpful stays/nights credit if you're trying to qualify for Platinum or whatever this year. But maybe you don't care about that.
    - Try for another BofA Alaska card, since they seem to be somewhat churnable. I got turned down due to too many applications but the wife didn't and now has her 2nd personal.
    - Go for the Citi Platinum VISA for 50K AA Miles or the CitiBusiness... Oh right, never mind about that one for now.
    - Go for the Barclay US Air card for what will eventually be AA Miles. They appear to be trying to get as many users as possible right now and are pretty loose with this card. Both the wife and I just got our 2nd of this one. Probably go for the lower offer with the first year no annual fee (30K? rather than $89 for 40K?).

There are schools of thought about Chase that suggest applying to them less frequently, like more like every six months rather than every three. I have no hard data but you might want to think about whether you need that Marriott Premier this time around. You could always go for a Chase Business card instead like an Ink Bold if you don't already have one.

Of course make sure you can make the spend on what you're applying for already. 10k in the first three months for the Citi. 5K? for the SPG in 6 months, so you don't have to worry about this one as much. And what, $1000 in three months on the Marriott? If this is your limit or whatever, ignore my advice and go with your current plan.