My love letter to Chris Elliott

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mikeef, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I understand that these types of articles often go in Newsstand, CE has written some version of this same article so many times and it is so broad that I think it's more applicable here:

Dear Chris:

I'm not afraid to admit it. I love you. I love your inane articles and your diatribes on the evils of frequent flyer programs.

Your USA Today article today was one that you've written before, but heck, attacking the airlines is almost as popular as mocking Congress, so it's probably time again, anyway. Today's article is Frequent-flier 'rewards' often aren't, and starts off:

Wow, the airlines aren't giving away something for nothing?! You're kidding! Bloggers make money on CC referrals? The horrors! The airlines are trying to make money after decades of aggregate losses? Imagine that.

And that's exactly why I love you. Your readership is far larger than that of MP, and every traveler you turn away from a frequent flyer program means that there is one more award available for me. And it's not just everyman that you're quoting. You quote a lawyer and a businessman, the former who took the opportunity to blast Delta because they wanted to charge him for a new ticket after he missed a flight. That should be worth at least a couple thousand disenchanted travelers.

My favorite quote? How about this:

Please, keep writing things like that! Make your readers think that FF programs are the traveling equivalent of hemlock. Join a frequent flyer program? Hell no! Those things are filled with risks. You might end up with free miles that you can't use! It's not like the majority of travelers haven't proven themselves willing to switch to a different airline to save a dollar on their flight. Oh, wait, they have.

Chris, I love you. Keep up the good work! Airlines may not have loyalty anymore but, as long as you keep writing articles like this one, I'll be loyal to you.

Mike

2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought Chris had retired from travel writing.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    The advocate for those who either don't know or don't understand. At least he's not talking about those first class lay flat suites up front on the NYC-MIA route...

LETTERBOY and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I didn't know he ever did travel writing. I thought he just did Chris Elliot promotion writing.

free101girl and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a room!

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    and make sure you double dip on the points for the room.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you call that travel writing then you're attempting to redefine the genre. What Chris writes is consumer advocacy, not travel writing.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought he made the awful movie Cabin Boy.

LETTERBOY, Jeanne23 and free101girl like this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize he was a real writer when I read the article the other day....I thought he was just a angry pi$$ed off FT member who didn't get an upgrade on a NYC-LAX flight. ;)

boondr, LETTERBOY and free101girl like this.
  10. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    He always writes about mimosas in domestic first. Where are these mimosas and how do I find them?

free101girl and paladinua like this.
  11. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish someone had warned me of the dangers of frequent flyer programs before I signed up for my AAdvantage account. Why, last spring I spent $60 for a round-trip ticket to Brussels, and later this fall I'm going to be booking a round-trip ticket to Santiago for a similar price. Not only are frequent flyer tickets NOT completely free, they encourage exotic vacations to expensive destinations like Europe! Oh, the horror! Clearly I'd be much better off if I'd never heard of frequent flier programs.

brfong, free101girl and LETTERBOY like this.