My Latest Churn--Suggestions for Cards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mrx900, Apr 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well its that time of the year again--the infamous quarterly churn, so here is what we have in the firing chamber:

Amex EveryDay Card (save my MR points) ** APPROVED**
    Amex SimplyCash Business Card ($250 credit ) ** APPROVED**
    USBank Avianca LifeMile VISA card (40,000 miles I can use on United) **APPROVED**
    Bank of Omaha LaQuinta Returns VISA Card (20,000 more to add to my last 20,000)
    Citibank Hilton Visa card (50,000 HHonors pts to add to my existing 175K) **APPROVED**
    Bank of America Alaska Airlines VISA (25,000 upon approval ; $100 statement credit) ** APPROVED **
    Chase INK Plus Card (60,000 offer) ** APPROVED **
    So.....any other suggestions? I'm already holding 3 personal Chase cards, so I think im maxed out for Chase.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    gconnery and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You go through 16 cards per year???!!!???

mrx900 likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would personally skip the Laquinta card as the value is low to me and the points expire too quickly for my taste but if it fits you, go for it. I don't know what other cards you have but I would do the Citi Executive AA card if you can find a 100k signup. I would also consider an Alaska card if you are at PDX. It also seems like there is a newer Hawaiian card out there but I forget.

gconnery, mrx900 and Newscience like this.
  4. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sometimes less...this year I applied in Jan for 3 cards (all approved)...but I will be canceling a few cards to make room for the new ones....so Im not keeping all these cards, if thats what you were wondering about.

gconnery and gregm like this.
  5. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I considered the 100K offer, but I have the Citibank AAdvantage VISA now. I also have the Barclay's USAIR MC, so getting the Hawaiian card might be hard cuz its Barclay's now. As for the AS Visa card, I think that might be a good idea, as they are Bank of America, and its churnable. I already have one AS Visa card. Thanks for the advice. The only reason I like that Laquinta card is it nets you Gold, which gives you free hot breakfasts, and its good for small road trips with the family.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have four, so there may still be potential here. (Mine are Hyatt, CSP, Freedom, and United Select.) The Chase hotel cards have some nice signup bonuses.

How are you doing on cards for spend (v. just signup bonuses)? There might be some ideas in this thread.

gconnery likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I both have US AiR and AA, Citi...
    We both applied for the AA Ex and got it,
    So we have 200,000 more with AA, the Lounge is great with the $200.00 rebate.

Did the Hyatt also...

No problem..

gconnery likes this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a post on one of the blog describing a guy who had 11 or so Chase cards.

9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ritz Carlton from Chase. No fee first year, 70K Marriott, $200 in-flight spend credit. Some other perks. Only $2K spend in 3 month required.

mrx900 likes this.
  10. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the Citi AA Visa and got the citi exec 100k twice--once in Jan and again this month.

Also I currently hold 6 Chase personal cards. OTOH I don't churn Chase so much as apply for cards where awards out weigh annual fee and I can plan to keep open for at least an extended period.

gconnery and mrx900 like this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can have more than one Citi AA card. I have the AAvantage Visa, the MC and also the Exec MC currently. I'm just not a fan of Laquinta because the points expire more quickly than some other programs and are also harder to keep alive through spending in my experience. Free hot breakfast comes ,well free, at a lot of chain motels even without status (HIX, Fairfield, Drury, etc. ). I would personally rather have the IHG Card with platinum status and free annual night which can be status matched to other hotels as well. But if you already have that you end up looking for alternatives (like Laquinta so I get it). Hard to go wrong with any churn I say.

gconnery and mrx900 like this.
  12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im putting the spend on my PayPal debit card for my Chase UR cards...which help me make money. The other cards I usually span the spend with garbage payments HOA dues, water bill...but I try to spend something, so when I do call, for a retention bonus, it looks like i actually use that credit line---seems to work for me now.

gconnery likes this.
  13. FranklyMe

FranklyMe Active Member

Status Points:
    I have 11 chase now. Credit Lines are a bit thin, but I work around that.

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  14. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure I have hit my Chase card limit...I had 3 personal & 1 biz card before, & got turned down for a 4th personal.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    YMMV. I currently have 4 Chase Personal: CSP, Freedom, United, AirTran plus business cards.

I would absolutely go for the Citi AA Exec 100K offer. Here:
    https://creditcards.citicards.com/u...1&ProspectID=8289431BF5BC49478648B92A43DF07A8

I had THREE Citi AA Platinum VISA's from the free-for-all last fall when you could churn those every 8 days when I applied for the first AA Exec. I've just applied for my third, having now closed two of the AA platinums in trade on the reconsideration calls. Of course YMMV and the $10k spend might be too much if you don't do any MS at all.

You can certainly churn the Barclay's US Air cards. Both the wife and I have two. I've just closed both #1's since the $89 fees were about to hit. I'll probably try and get another before these disappear later this year/early next. Hey, its another 30-35K AA miles (eventually) for no spend at all, and maybe 15K more in 6 months or so for minimal spend.

The 50K Citi HH offer expired a week or so ago as far as I know. I haven't trolled the FT thread though so I might be wrong.

I think the Amex Everday cards are certainly worth considering. Haven't done my homework yet on which one I'll apply for yet.

16. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone for your input--I got approved for ALL my cards I applied for this round. I had to call Amex to 'push' the EveryDay card, but other than that, it worked like a charm.

satman40 and gconnery like this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    See all you had to do was ask....

They love to say yes, they make money when you ask and they say yes...

Everyone is now happy...

Good job, everyone....

Who is next .?......

mrx900 likes this.
  18. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the wife and my mom are next--- pretty much the same cards--but a couple of more cash back cards for my mom, since she loves to shop shop shop :mad:

19. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow..the last of the last was finally approved today --The Chase INK PLUS 60K offer. I had to call it in--answer a few questions Gestapo style, but no problem. I got it.

satman40 likes this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats Mr. X!!! :)

I got the Chase UA, Hyatt, CSP, and IHG personal cards ... all approved on first applications. Where does it say you have a limit of 4 personal cards?

On reconsideration, I'd shift credit around to get the new card account approved.

mrx900 and satman40 like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's say I have more than 10 Chase cards, 3 Ink Business Cards, different Flavors, and my wife has same business cards in her name...

Love Chase,

New Ink Plus, this week also
    Arrival
    AA Ex
    Been a good week...

Southwest, per, and Bus
    Marriott
    CSP
    United
    Hyatt
    Freedom
    AirTran
    BA

My wife also has the same cards in her name, I apply for her, one of these days we will go for the ING, , don't want to push the limit..:D

mrx900 likes this.
  22. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    wowzers.....you are really 'Chase'n the miles :p. I think i'll hit up the United business card in my next churn.

satman40 likes this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like The United Card, they also had one a while back gave you E+. And some other perks, $395.00 fee, or higher than normal, cheaper tha buying E+, now she uses's J, she does not care for FC.

My wife is Chinese so we use the miles, she loves to visit mom, and bring the relation over.