My imagination or are *All MR candidate fares scarce these days?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by wolfsatz, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing almost nothing but DL MR fares here and over at "the other" place.

Booked a quick overnight trip in early November LAS-ORD on UA but the pickings look slim and I need another 8,000 EQM by years' end.

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just you.

Carriers have been making big capacity cuts lately, which means huge short-term profits. Take a look at today's 16% jump in US Airways stock (NYSE:LCC) to see what Wall Street thinks of airline profitability.

wolfsatz likes this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to squeeze one in at the end of August (LAX-ORD) with UA's Double EQM's as I haven't seen anything remotely worth doing farther out.

4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's partially just you. There was a recent SEA-PEK UA mistake, a bunch of UA/CO attacking DL hubs, and TK's been offering some interesting fares. Keep watching PVG and TYO as well; there have been some great fares from various parts of the US on UA/CO to each. Also ORD-HKG if CX offers any sales that UA/CO match.

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at the MR fare I just posted. SEA-CLT. Not sure if it helps you or not but a sub-$200 all-in transcon fare is very good these days. Can get it down to 3.3cpm via EWR.

The "other site" has had some good UA/CO fares lately as well. I got in on the SEA-PEK fare for $405 which is 3.0cpm.

Maybe they are fewer & farther....

-RM

6. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, having the same problem this year. Finding a good mileage run out of SFO on UA / CO has been hard to swing. I need to get about 13,000 EQM before the end of the year to maintain 1P. Not sure if I'm gonna make it. Last year seemed easier...

7. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    konoyaro: Now that 1P has been devalued so much, what is the point of spending money / time / sweat in trying to fly 13,000 in a lousy United seat for the sake of renewing your 1P status?

8. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question. Perhaps the changes haven't entirely sunk in yet but I suppose one reason is it's likely I won't be in a position to fly much next year so I guess I feel compelled to give it one more go. Plus I reckon I'd miss the ANA Lounge on flights transiting at NRT :)

9. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where the OP is based but yesterday I booked a MR MCO-SEA via EWR at 3.3cpm. Nothing exceptional but certainly worth the run.

10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been light for MRs out of WAS lately. Overnight in FLL during the week isn't all that much of an MR. There was the relatively cheap ANC flights but not much else

11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    garyst16 and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for a decent AA MR for months...other than the LAX-DFW or LAX-ORD, there has been nothing worth mentioning. Last year, I took advantage of the DEQM and Triple bank miles for flights originating and terminating in STL with this wild routing: STL-LAX-JFK-MXP-JFK-LAX-ORD-STL. Did this over 5 days and made 34K EQMs and 51K bank miles...would love another one like that! BTW - AI for $1100. 3.2 CPM for EQM and 2.1 for bank miles!

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm really not finding anything decent... and I need a ton of miles. The best things I'm finding are:
    1) LAX - NRT - SIN r/t on UA (17550 EQM at 6.5 cpm)
    2) LAX - IAD - ORD - HKG r/t (21358 EQM at 6.5 cpm) **4590 miles on AA, 16768 on UA but Double RDM for ORD - HKG route.

Unfortunately, these aren't good values but appear to be good ways to get a bunch of miles. The double RDM for the ORD - HKG route is quite attractive in getting a serious number of miles to compensate for the flight cost.

Is anyone else having better luck in finding any opportunities?

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The availability certainly isn't as good as it was earlier in the year. Boy am I glad I was able to figure out what I would need early and took care of it then. I haven't been trying very hard to look for deals, but the ones I notice don't seem to be as frequent or as available on multiple days. It was pretty easy for me to get 20-25K at 3 cpm average out of SEA in January and February.