My friend can upgrade my AA itin, right?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by pnoeric, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, dumb question, but I have just heard otherwise and can't find a definitive answer anyplace. If I have an AA itin and my friend has e500s certs, he can apply his certs to upgrade my itin, but he can't give me his certs... is that right?

zpaul and alohastephen like this.
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    500 mile certificates are not transferrable. Here it is from the horse's mouth:

zpaul likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless he has eVIPs that he is willing to give you but it has high value.

4. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The friend could also just plunk down the miles... However, the OP's request was about 500 milers, which can only be used for oneself or one's companion when on the same flight together.

5. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah. Ok. So my friend could upgrade an int'l flight for me with one of his eVIPs, but for my domestic flights, I'm out of luck... got it. Sad face!

Can his eVIP certificates be transferred (given) to me, without applying them to an itinerary (so they would just be deposited into my account)?

6. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    p.s. wish part of AA's status match was taking all my CO and UA upgrade instruments (and oh, between my boyfriend and myself, we have plenty of 'em) and letting me trade them for AA instruments ;-)

7. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, eVIP/SWU cannot be transferred. A member that has those upgrade instruments may use them for themselves, or anyone they designate, but they cannot be transferred.

zpaul, Microwave, _kurt and 2 others like this.
  8. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it. Thanks!

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He could also upgrade you with systemwides on a domestic itinerary. It's not limited to international. If they're expiring better to put them to use on domestic than not use them at all.

zpaul and pnoeric like this.
  10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    He can apply his 500-mile upgrades to your itinerary only if he is on the same flight(s).

11. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    To clarify, a systemwide upgrade can be used on any itinerary, domestic or international. So your friend could upgrade you with a SWU on an international flight, or he could upgrade you with a SWU on a domestic flight, he just cannot use his stickers to upgrade you unless the two of you are flying together. Good luck!

12. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all! It sounds like the sooner I make ExecPlat and get the comp upgrades, the better... ;-)

zpaul and Microwave like this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Platinum (or even as a Gold) you can buy 500-mile upgrades. That might help while you are getting to Exec. Plat.

zpaul likes this.
  14. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely. I have a friend who is jumping from AA to UA, and I'm doing exactly the opposite (joining y'AAll in oneworld), so I have a stack of UA upgrade instruments that I was hoping to trade with him. Though of course we would never do that, since trading is against the T&C of the instruments... ;-)

zpaul likes this.
  15. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure one would want to use the word "trade" on a public forum, read by employees of the division of a company that "owns" the instruments involved which per company T & C's aren't technically supposed to be "bartered." :)

zpaul and DestinationDavid like this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you on the MegaDO? If not, too bad, EXP is pretty easy for 1Ks attending.

17. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it. :-( my boyfriend and I are both 1Ks and eager to switch, but we were too late to get on the megado. Super frustrating-- two of us are making this major alliance jump and trying like heck to give AA a lot of business... I wish they would make this a little easier :)

18. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point! I clarified my message to explain that we would never trade, since that's against the T&Cs. Never! Never ever ever! ;-) But in all seriousness, it would be more of a gift situation than a trade. Doesn't matter, in any case, since we can't do it.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You used the PLT challenge, right? That wasn't enough of a head start? ;):D

20. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe... I wish! John and I have both enrolled in the Plat challenge already, and we've already purchased all the tickets we need to get all our points in place by mid-February. So we'll both be Platinum by then... which isn't enough ;-)

I'm sort of pinning my hopes on the AA MegaDo contest at this point! Otherwise it'll be a while for us to hit 100k miles flown on AA in 2012.

21. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that is what some good BA flights are for. I am challenging over to Plat, and will probably be doing quite a few MRs over to Europe with BA next year (since I know I can't handle much more transatlantic in AA Y)

22. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely! That's one fast way to get miles! I haven't flown BA (or AA) metal transatlantic yet... is there that big a difference in their cheap seats?

23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I will probably never fly AA Y in coach again. Barely any recline, and the seats are very tight. BA does offer a World Traveler Plus, and it is only $500 more than the lowest coach fare for me, and it also gets bonus points because it is a higher fare (1.1 points a mile instead of .5)

24. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....and if you're going to do transatlantic mileage runs, winter isn't a bad time to do them as fares may be lower than what they'd be over the summer. IMHO, just keep in mind what winter weather can be like in ORD, etc. and be aware of how to keep things going when the weather isn't.

25. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love me some bad weather! More chances for voluntary bumps :)