My flight was changed. How do I get my miles to post?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ahagc, Feb 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ahagc

ahagc Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a trip scheduled on United from MSP to ORD to OGG last week. It was cancelled because of weather (the skies were clear by the time we would have departed). We were then put on a flight from MSP to PHX to OGG on US Airways. This too, was cancelled, but for mechanical reasons. Then we were put on a flight from MSP to SFO to HNL on Delta and then to OGG the next morning on Hawaiian.
    Miles have not posted for the flight. Since four different airlines were involved, where do I go to get mileage credit. Can I get United Miles for Delta flights I took? Or since they are not partners, should I request miles on my Delta account? My first choice would be United miles, second choice would be Delta.
    Thanks in advance.

rwoman, Gargoyle and miles and smiles like this.
  2. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call UA to get the original routing credit. You should have miles for MSP-ORD-OGG. When request for ORC, it does not matter which airline/route you took.

rwoman, deant, Gargoyle and 1 other person like this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And even when asking for ORC, you can get miles from Delta as well

rwoman, deant and miles and smiles like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

rwoman and deant like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Bold and underlined to emphasize, use that exact wording.

goalie, rwoman, deant and 1 other person like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A know-it-all guy named "Seth" is going to come here and tell you that all of the following is "misinformation" that he was appointed on MP to correct, but something like that happened to me in August. I was scheduled to travel to EZE from LGA through IAD. But because of a horrific downpour, the LGA-IAD flight was canceled. So, I was told to just hang in there while they (UA) looked for alternatives. It turned out that there was an American flight that was departing within two hours from JFK straight to EZE. I got a transfer card, took a cab to JFK and got an AA ticket. After the trip, I waited for the miles on AA to post but they did not. So, I called 1K desk. The agent asked for my original UA flight number, found out that I was booked on another flight (AA), and immediately awarded me the miles for my originally booked UA flight. Long way to say that all you need to do is to call UA, and chances are that they will award you the miles that you would have gotten on your original UA flight.

rwoman, deant, Gargoyle and 1 other person like this.
  7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    usually when this happens its time for Double Dipping. 1- I give DL my DL # and I still would call UA to get the original routing credit from them

To be safe although it was never asked of me, I only put my acct# on the new carrier once I have my BP in hand that way in case it has to be faxed or sent in it wont show any acct# on it

I never tried to get credit on the carrier flown after the fact if I didnt submitt my acct # to them before actually flying the flight, dont know how far theyd go to look up the res and maybe seeing I was FIMed over would deny it

1 of the parts of Irrops that I love, double dipping

rwoman, deant and miles and smiles like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This means you have both DL and UA FF memberships, right?

rwoman likes this.
  9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is the time for double dipping. UA should award you the miles for the flights that were canceled. As stated above this will be the original routing miles. DL should give you the miles for flight actually taken - they are probably in Y class as well so you might even get class of service bonus.

Of course you have to deal with UA for UA miles and DL for DL miles.

rwoman likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would rather cool if you can "double dip" even if you have FF membership with only one airline, which is not part of the alliance...Could you elaborate? Wouldn't UA know that you are getting twice the credit for the same trip?

11. travelmi

travelmi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been this way for as long as I can remember. UA will not be able to look into other program. You have purchased tickets on UA and you should have the miles if it is fulfilled as planned. You may or may not have FfMembership with other carriers. No, they do not have to be alliance. I had AA flight cancelled and rebooked by AA onto UA flights and got miles for both.

rwoman, NYBanker and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something really worth knowing to just work the system to maximize one's gain...:cool:

rwoman likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed (and my name is not Seth).

Contact UA for "original routing credit."

If you didn't give DL your delta (or other sky team FF #) when you flew, make sure you have you dela boarding pass and I'm pretty sure you can go online and request credit. Worst case, you have to call DL.

You can definitely double dip on this one.

(added word "name")

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it is not, otherwise you would have told me that the fact that I did not know about "double dipping" invalidates my real-life, honest to God, "original routing credit" experience.;)

15. ahagc

ahagc Active Member

Status Points:
    Well that's great news. I was hoping I'd be lucky to get miles from any one airline, but two is twice as nice. I'll let you know if I'm successful.
    Thanks!

rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  16. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually I have membership in at least 1 carrier in each of the 3 Alliances, just as I have multiple memberships in a number of hotel programs

rwoman likes this.
  17. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    usually the original carrier wont ask that you send in the BPs of the flown carrier

I was asked 1 time to mail or fax them in.(they prefer mail to make sure they are Original and not photo shopped or altered in any way). Thats why I dont want my acct# from the carrier that I actually will fly on the BPs, and why I will have them apply my # at the gate once I have BPs in hand. The agent usually says that she will reprint the BP and for me to hand her the old one, I just say its not necessary and besides in case we go MX or something the original has the TSA marks on it. Cant tell you how many times Ive gotten new BPs once thru TSA but that line works so I will keep using it

I do this just in case the carrier I was suppose to fly wants the BP from the carrier flown, wont look good in the OPs case sending UA the DL BPs with my DL acct # on it, UA may refuse then to credit my UA acct for the flight not flown since I already got credit for say flying LGA-SEA with DL. w/o any acct # on the DL BP UA wont know nothing and will assume I didnt get any DL credit for the DL flight

btw thats what I love even more with VDBing and being FIMed over to another carrier, not only can you double dip but you get the $400 UA voucher to boot. Of cause in order for that to take place UA (or teh original carrier) will hav eto be soldout on all their flights that day from XYZ

rwoman, deant and tondoleo like this.
  18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

As others have said, you should be able to double dip.

NYCUA1K and rwoman like this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and, at the very least, you are entitled to the original routing credit...Welcome to MP!

Gargoyle and deant like this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  21. ahagc

ahagc Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, it worked. After submitting an online form to Delta and talking to a representative at United my wife and I were able to add 4,500 miles to our United account. Delta was even better. Since the rebooked flight on Delta was booked in Y class, there was a 50% bonus and so we each received about 6,000 miles in our Delta accounts. Not bad for spending 5 minutes online and 10 minutes on the phone.
    Thank you everyone for your help!

flyer_o and deant like this.
  22. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got exactly what you should have gotten. It is more complicated when it is the same alliance, but still doable.