My first upgrade was the most delicious!

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by UADomer08, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking back to my early days of travel obsession I remember my first upgrade and how fulfilling it was. I was in Lexington Kentucky for the first time staying in a Springhill for the first time. Armed with my newly acquired Gold status (earned from a marathon at Courtyards) I scored a sweet corner suite with 2 rooms, a fridge, and a sink! I walked into that room for the first time and thought "Yes, your hours of scouring the Marriott forums have finally paid off. You have arrived at travel greatness!".

The next morning I sat down to my free breakfast with my teammates and fought every urge in my body to trumpet my success. My more seasoned manager made the first comment about how the rooms were nice and the flat screens were a quality touch. Now was the moment, now was my chance to show off my expertise. "Yeah, it was even nicer in the sick suite I got upgraded into.".......Crickets, napkin hidden smiles, then laughter. Of course now I know that its called Springhill Suites for a reason but I'll never forget the feeling of accomplishment from 8 hours earlier.

Upgrades have come and gone since, but for me, that was the greatest one ever! What was your best updgrade experience and what advice would you give to new travelers looking to score their first night of luxury?

The best advice I can give is always be greatful and never go in with expectations. Upgrades are a a gift not a standard. Treat the front desk with respect and kindness and never be afraid to ask. If its a special occasion (engagement, anniversary, trip with old friends) call the hotel early and let them know how much fun an upgrade would be. I've become friends with many of the staff at the hotels I where I stay and they love friendly travelers and they have grown tired of the DYKWIA Plats. Good luck and happy travels!

WanderLuster and geclub1 like this.
  2. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any that I get when my wife is around. I'd trade all of my work upgrades to get them while on vacation!

DonV.Smith and Andy like this.
  3. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spent the better part of 2 years at the Marriott in Stamford, CT. After a brief time the staff all knew me and I was often given the same corner room. Finally, on my last week there I was checking in and said, "Gee, it's odd that in 2 years I haven't ever been bumped up to a suite." They just laughed and said that if I had ever asked they would have gladly given it to me. Instead they just thought that I loved my 'usual' room.

The suite was indeed nice. But I actually missed my corner room in a quiet section of the hotel. Go figure.

4. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Marquis Atlanta -- I was so happy, I nearly cried when I saw my upgraded suite ...

5. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can completely sympathize with you on this one! I was in a similar situation, long term project with the same room every week. The one week I ended up in a suite (due to a wedding party that stayed an extra night thus taking up my room) I was so discombobulated that I could barely function!

6. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a couple of upgrades now... One was very positive, the other not so much.
    • The one I didn't care for was at a Fairfield Inn near Disney in Orlando. I received a family suite - which would have been great with my family... But as I was on business, I missed a larger work space and relaxing zone (i.e. no chair, couch, etc to kick back on). Unfortunately they were full, as were many others in the area.
    • The positive was in the same area at a Spring Hill Suites, shortly after reaching gold. They seem to go all out, very welcoming, etc. They definitely left me with a very positive experience. (Spring Hill in Orlando at the Marriott Village - by Disney parks)

7. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was your trick? I have stayed there 4-5 times and as a Platinum I have never been upgraded and only once have even had a room on the Concierge Lounge level...

8. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran a big conference at the Marriott Eaton Centre in Toronto. As a favour, the GM of Eaton Centre asked the GM of Atlanta to upgrade me ...

DonV.Smith likes this.